Frontal bulletins fix
On July 10, 2018, NOAA Weather Prediction Center changed the URL (internet address) for the NCEP frontal bulletin from http to https. Digital Atmosphere will not handle https sources until we complete internal modifications to the ingest code.
Weather Graphics has begun permanently mirroring the frontal bulletin products at a standard http address, ensuring permanent compatibility with all versions of Digital Atmosphere. To use data from this new source, there are two ways to fix any version of Digital Atmosphere, as follows:
Method #1 (for all users; takes a few minutes of manual work)
1. Run Digital Atmosphere.
2. Go to Data > Retrieve Data. NOTE: Do NOT use "Update Internet table"; this code is not active at this time.
3. In the list, scroll down to "High-res frontal bulletins" and highlight it.
4. Click "Edit Site".
5. Under "Enter URL for this site" change:
6. Click OK.
7. In the list, scroll down to "Low-res frontal bulletins" and highlight it.
8. Click "Edit Site".
9. Under "Enter URL for this site" change:
10. Click OK.
11. Click Exit. All updates are complete.
Method #2 (for advanced users; provides a perfect replacement)
1. Determine your Digital Atmosphere working directory. This can be found in Help > About.
2. Right-click on this link: digatmos.urx and choose "Save link as". Save the file to the Digital Atmosphere working directory, ensuring it overwrites the old file.
3. If you were not prompted to overwrite the file, this may mean it was saved in the wrong location, or the browser was set to ignore overwrites, or the browser is adjusting the link name without your permission (some browsers like Chrome, IE, and Edge are known to do this). Test Digital Atmosphere frontal bulletin plotting for proper function and if it still doesn't work, try again or proceed to Method #1.
These changes will be incorporated into the next updates starting with V3.07. No date has been scheduled
yet for the release of V3.07.
- Tim Vasquez, 7/25/2018