Planetary Maps

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
gkasica

Planetary Maps

Post by gkasica »

Has anyone had a good sucess with Planetary Maps? The documentation is sparse on how to go about it....basically lists about 4-6 URLs and the details of what is on the menu....

I'm hoping to get planetary maps for the US area working.

Has any one done this or can provide any hints??

Thanks,
britbob

Post by britbob »

You can get them from the blue marble website. Opt for the largest files because you`ll need the higher quality for importing onto a basemap.

Create a basemap, when finished select `import planetary map` then wait a few moments while it creates your new basemap. That`s it. If you want to keep the created planetary basemap, you`ll need to `copy markings onto basemap` before saving.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsro ... hlies.html
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

For some reason the 2km maps in the link posted by Bob seem to be down.

For a full US map at say 800X600 the 8km maps work better anyway as the US is roughly 800 pixels wide in this map (just a little more).

Here is a direct link to the large tiff blue marble imagery:
http://veimages.gsfc.nasa.gov/2433/land ... _21600.tif

You will need to load this in photoshop (or whatever) and convert it to a jpeg, bmp, etc. It is also wise to reduce the image to less than 20,000 pixels wide.

So if you want to work with the larger map, just make sure the planetary map matches in size that which is generated in DA WS for best results.

Pat
gkasica

THAT is beautiful :)

Post by gkasica »

:D

Title say it all!!

THank you both SO much.

I used the 8km images from Bob's link and they popped in with zero effort at all. Absolutely wonderful and ovelayed basemap and saved and I'm all set.

Thank you SO!! much.

:D :D :D :D
synoptic

Post by synoptic »

Hello sinds you say the map works good is it possible you can make an url where to download the *.gif or *.jpg version. I did try anything to comvert from Tiff to jpg and gif but I think my software is not capible. So if you good just make a url for download I would be verry happy.

Marcel