Missing Metars

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
wolkomir

Missing Metars

Post by wolkomir »

Greeetings Friends:

I am a new user and I'm having a little problem with displaying data plots.
I seem to have a lot of missing metar reports. I'm displaying the area around southern Wisconsin, and basically am dispiayng only KMKE and KMSN. There are many other reporting stations I am not seeing.

I have the "data crowding" set at 100% and have cheked off EVERY available source of metars in the data retreval menu.

Sorry, I can't seem to find a way to attach a screenshot.

Your help is appreciated...
Weasel

Re: Missing Metars

Post by Weasel »

wolkomir wrote:Greeetings Friends:

I am a new user and I'm having a little problem with displaying data plots.
I seem to have a lot of missing metar reports. I'm displaying the area around southern Wisconsin, and basically am dispiayng only KMKE and KMSN. There are many other reporting stations I am not seeing.

I have the "data crowding" set at 100% and have cheked off EVERY available source of metars in the data retreval menu.

Sorry, I can't seem to find a way to attach a screenshot.

Your help is appreciated...
Just tick the box next to METAR from COD (no other download should be required...wait until about *:15 before downloading) and download. Click the station plot icon. Export the chart. Set up an account with:
http://photobucket.com/
Upload the chart to the account. Copy and paste the img link into a post here. Submit the post.

After the above is accomplished maybe one of us can determine what is wrong.

This is an odd situation, as even having the level set to something other than surface would not produce it.

Pat
wolkomir

?missing metars

Post by wolkomir »

Pat:

I downloaded the data at :17 after the hour, using just COD. I got quite a few more data points, although there are still some stations missing. As a pilot around here, I know, for example that UES and JVL have awos-asos facilities that report on the air, and I assume that the NWS gets all that data.

Here is my map of southern Wisconsin:

http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l184/ ... interval=3

This is with the crowding set to 100%.

Thanks again, all
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

Mike,

Probably some sort of data transmission error....happens on ocassion. I just did a quick download of data from 6Z on the 27th and JVL and UES were included...although Volk field and the MKX(I don't know if they are ever included) are missing.

Don't get the impression this happens frequntly....when it does there is nothing DA WS can do about it because the data isn't available to the software.

Pat
wolkomir

Post by wolkomir »

Thanks a bunch.
Greg Higgins

Post by Greg Higgins »

Make sure that you are using the most up-to-date station file list. See the message concerning station files.

Greg Higgins
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

Greg Higgins wrote:Make sure that you are using the most up-to-date station file list. See the message concerning station files.

Greg Higgins
Greg,

I would have thought that myself if Janesville (JVL) observations wouldn't have been around for a bit.

Here is a somewhat old (before any updates in any thread) entry from a DigAtm station list for Waukesha:
KUES ... .....-. 4302N 08814W 0278@@@ +!!! ....A USA WI:Waukesha/County

Seems both have been a part of the station list for a long while. Might be why I considered it a data transmission error.. which does happen from time to time as most know.

Pat