Trouble Downloading and installing DAWS

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
MarcC

Trouble Downloading and installing DAWS

Post by MarcC »

Hi All,

I just downloaded DAWS through my local dial-up service (this took about 1 hour, 13 mins :?). Though the installation went through fine, I started getting errors as soon as I booted DAWS. The first error I got said:

digatmos has caused an error in <unknown>
digatmos will now close

I clicked "Ok," and I could see the whole program with a map of the continental US in the background when another error came up reading:

Digital Atmosphere encountered an error: Access violation at address 0053E378 in module 'DIGATMOS.EXE'. Read of address FFFFFFFF.

This same message constantly pops up and overlaps itself. After clicking ok on several overlapped error messages, I could see another message underneath them all that read:

Exception EReadError in module DIGATMOS.EXE at 00014D63. Error reading RichEdit1.Lines.Strings. RichEdit line insertion error

All these errors are probably a result of a faulty download, but it would be a shame to have to spend another hour downloading the same thing over again. Anyone have any ideas as to what I should do?

Thanks in advance!
Marc
MarcC

Post by MarcC »

I downloaded the program again and ran into the same problems, so it may not be a problem with the download after all.
Tim Vasquez
Administrator

Post by Tim Vasquez »

What type of computer do you all have, and what version of Windows?

(1) This may be a font problem we can fix... check Start > Settings > ControlPanel > Fonts and see if you have Courier New. If not, this may be the cause and we can remove the font assignment.

(2) Right-click Start, select Explore, and go into your \windows\system32 folder. Right click on riched32.dll and select Properties. Bring up the Version tab. What version is it? We run 5.0.2134.1 here and it runs fine. This could be some sort of version incompatibility with the Windows system files, and it would be fixable.

In a worst case scenario we can fix this by removing the RichEdit component.

Tim
MarcC

Post by MarcC »

Hi Tim,

I checked both things you mentioned, and here are the results:

First of all, I am running Windows ME.

I do have Courier New font.

I went into the SYSTEM32 folder, and discovered that I didn't have anything entitled: riched32.dll, so I did a quick google search and downloaded this file (it was the exact same version you have). This I placed in the SYSTEM32 folder and tried to run DAWS again with the same result described above.
MarcC

Post by MarcC »

Oh, I forgot to answer your question about what computer I have. I'm running a Dell Inspiron 5000e. :wink:
Tim Vasquez
Administrator

Post by Tim Vasquez »

OK, we'll remove the component, which should fix this, and use another one. I remember having trouble before with RichEdit.

Tim