Retrieving Data

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
rich

Retrieving Data

Post by rich »

Hello,
I'm giving Digital Atmosphere a try for my company. I'm having problems retrieving the data from the internet. I know that the program can have problems with internet proxy's and firewalls. Could this be the reason that when i go to Internet > retrieve data, then the box pops up and i click on what i want to download that under the time tokens where it shows the file, URL, status, and progress, that the progress line is shown as idle even when it appears to be downloading the information? I really like the prgram and am trying to get it to work. Thanks so much!
Wally Mayo

Post by Wally Mayo »

Okay ... don't know about proxys, but I've never had any problems with firewalls, but corporate firewalls I'm not so sure about.

SOME downloads will not show a progress bar, depending on if the file transfer gives a size of file when it d'loads. So check to see if it really worked, not just based on lack of progress bar.
rich

Post by rich »

Thanks for the reply Wally Mayo. After I tried retrieving data, I went to data> troubleshooting data to see if the information had been downloaded. Well it was all empty. So I now think the main problem is that my company needs to open a port so that the data can be received properly. I don't think it is on your end. Unfortunatly I need an IT person from DA to tell my IT dept that until they open the port and grant DA internet access, the program will not work on my company's computer. Can you or someone else in the IT dept send me an email or message showing that is what has to be done in order to get the program to work properly. Thanks so much!!!
Wally Mayo

Re: Retrieving Data

Post by Wally Mayo »

rich wrote:... the progress line is shown as idle even when it appears to be downloading the information? ...!
I should've said ... the progress bar seems idle, not showing progress, rather than "does not show a progress bar." -- even when it IS d'loading.

It's going to take someone who has had this experience and licked it to help you, I think. I just can't imagine a FTP transfer, esp. with a http://www type site having a problem. But that is just my lack of experience with corporate "barriers."
rich

Post by rich »

It's going to take someone who has had this experience and licked it to help you, I think. I just can't imagine a FTP transfer, esp. with a http://www type site having a problem. But that is just my lack of experience with corporate "barriers."
Thanks again Wally Mayo. Anyone out there with experience with corporate firewalls/barriers?
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hi I'm the Systems Administrator for the company I work for.

I haven't physically checked, but my guess is that daws gets it's data via HTTP and FTP so you need ports 80 and 21 open on your proxy/firewall
Make sure you set the correct details in daws/preferences/misc proxy settings. Also check that your company is using port 80 for HTTP. Some use port 8080.

If your company is running a server 2003 domain and you are going through an ISA server, you need to bypass the ISA server, as I'm guessing DAWS is not authenticating correctly.

Get your IT bods to set a gateway on the DAWS pc to point directly to your modem/router IP address and all should be well.

Regards,
Mark
rich

Post by rich »

Mark,
Thanks. I try your suggestion.