Lake effect Snow

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
Stefan Lichius

Lake effect Snow

Post by Stefan Lichius »

Hi All,

here in Europe and Germany we have heard about the strong winter in US and Canada. In connection with this it is reported about an interesting weather type: *Lake effect snow".
Anyone out there at the Great Lakes who is engaged to tell us more about the actual situation, perhaps as a report with some maps and photos?
It would be very fine, because we are looking for interesting themes about weather for our private "Weather School for Beginners and for Advanced".
We are looking forward for some answers.

Stefan Lichius
LocoAko

re:

Post by LocoAko »

Hello

I've yet to experience it but it is on my to do list, lol. Right now there is an insane band going on in upsate NY... here are some radar shots. They are expecting 3 to 5 feet. Last I checked it was heavy snow with quarter mile visability.

Here is a good topic to read through. I haven't, but sure to be lots of good info in there. http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php ... 116&st=780
http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php ... 538&st=700
Insane forecast...

Tonight: Occasional snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 2. Wind chill values between -9 and -19. Breezy, with a west wind between 17 and 24 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 11 to 17 inches possible.

Sunday: Occasional snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 12. Wind chill values between -10 and -20. Breezy, with a west wind between 14 and 21 mph, with gusts as high as 32 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 14 to 20 inches possible.

Sunday Night: Occasional snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around -6. Wind chill values between -14 and -19. West wind 15 to 18 mph decreasing to between 7 and 10 mph. Winds could gust as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 16 to 22 inches possible.

Monday: Occasional snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 7. Wind chill values between -14 and -19. Breezy, with a west wind 5 to 8 mph increasing to between 21 and 24 mph. Winds could gust as high as 34 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Anyway, let me stop ranting.

[/img]
kinetic

Post by kinetic »

I live on the east side of Lake Michigan and when the Artic front came through on Saturday we had white out blizzard conditions for several hours.
Shopping centers, movie theaters, stores all closed. This radar from my web page shows the lake effect bands forming an moving inland.

http://www.cascadwx.com/Grlevel3/grl3loop2.html
Stefan Lichius

Post by Stefan Lichius »

Hi all,

thanks a lot for your postings - very interesting and helpful.

Best regards,
Stefan Lichius