Satellite Derived Winds

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
MarcC

Satellite Derived Winds

Post by MarcC »

Hi All,

I'm trying to test out DA's satellite wind capability over the Eastern Pacific, but when I attempted to add this link to my data retreival list:

ftp://www.orbit.nesdis.noaa.gov/pub/smc ... cdnhlatest

the retreival module simply "got stuck" saying: "initializing drivers." Has anyone else had experience with importing satellite winds into DAEQ? Perhaps there are better data sites?

Thanks in advance!
Marc
wxforecaster

Post by wxforecaster »

I don't think DAWS can even read that data!
gkasica

Post by gkasica »

wxforecaster wrote:I don't think DAWS can even read that data!
You are correct. No way at this time that I know of.
MarcC

Post by MarcC »

Hmm...Well, I know that DA did have satellite wind capability a few years back, and Tim seemed to think that the module may still be operational in Equinox. I've noticed that after manually importing other types of data, the status window does say "decoding satellite winds" during data processing (in spite of the fact that it didn't import any), so I inferred that it may still be possible for DAEQ to read this kind of data.
gkasica

Post by gkasica »

MarcC wrote:Hmm...Well, I know that DA did have satellite wind capability a few years back, and Tim seemed to think that the module may still be operational in Equinox. I've noticed that after manually importing other types of data, the status window does say "decoding satellite winds" during data processing (in spite of the fact that it didn't import any), so I inferred that it may still be possible for DAEQ to read this kind of data.
That's interesting, I wasn't aware that the DAWS product had that functionalty...if we ever hear from Tim maybe we can fiure it out. I'm at a loss otherwise.
Sorry.