DA on Linux

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
nigel.heasman

DA on Linux

Post by nigel.heasman »

Hi folks,
I've been out of touch for a while - is there or will there be a version of Digital Atmosphere that can run on a Linux (Gentoo) computer?? Do hope so!
thanks for any update
Nigel
hoevenm

Post by hoevenm »

Hi Nigel,

I am also very interested in a Linux-version. However, I run DAWS without any problem in Linux (OpenSuse, Fedora Core) using Wine. Give it a try.

Maarten
nigel.heasman

Post by nigel.heasman »

Hi Maarten,
thanks for your reply - I haven't tried Wine yet - still on a steep learning curve with Linux, Gentoo distribution!
Have you found it pretty stable for running programs that haven't yet been ported to Linux?? Any pitfalls to watch out for??
Thanks again for the suggestion,
Nigel
hoevenm

Post by hoevenm »

Hi Nigel,

I found it very stable. In fact, I ran it for 1.5 years, scheduled 4 times a day, without any (!) problem or disruption. I created a cronjob where the whole bunch (starting DAWS and after that, DAWS-scripts) was exectued at 01, 07, 13 and 19 hours GMT. It retrieved data from several sources, and produces nice charts with precipitation, wind, temperature and pressure of that period for Europe.

If intererested, I can send you the scripts...?

Maarten
nigel.heasman

Post by nigel.heasman »

Hi Maarten,
thanks very much for your reply. Wine sounds like a good route to go, by your experience and I will give it a try.
I would love to see your scripts - thank you. My email address is nigel_heasman AT yahoo.co.uk
Thanks again for your help,
regards
Nigel
hoevenm

Post by hoevenm »

Done, check your mailbox.

Cheers,
Maarten
gkasica

DA on Linux

Post by gkasica »

Hmmm....I'm also running a pair of Linux boxes here - one I have in mind to test on is Fedora Core 7. I'd love to see the scripting as well, I run now on a W2K3 server and produce about 70 charts every 3 hours via DA scripts. Check out http://www.fcst-office.com (which runs on the Linux box I'm thinking of using).
czenzel

Digital Atmosphere using Wine on Mac/Linux

Post by czenzel »

Hi Everyone,

I found this post to be very interesting and I just tried to install Digital Atmosphere to Mac OS X using Crossover Office 6.1.0.

Can anybody help me setup Wine to have the appropriate settings for Digital Atmosphere?

Here are the issues I'm having:
- When I do a download the application hangs and I have to click "Cancel" for it to say "Transfer done" and process the data.

- Another issue I am having is trying to exit the application. It quickly pops up an error dialog and closes it, but won't close the Application so I have to use the included Wine Task Manager to "End Task".

Can somebody help me confirm I am using the right settings or help me add to my current settings? I am using a Windows 2000 bottle; however, what libraries should I have set in the Wine winecfg utility?

Also I would be interested in seeing the cron scripts for Linux. If somebody could send me a copy or a sample of the cron scripts used with Wine at czenzel _at_ gmail.com?

Any help would be appreciated,
Chris Zenzel