Isobars in Digital Atmosphere

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
footballrunner11

Isobars in Digital Atmosphere

Post by footballrunner11 »

How can I go about plotting the isobars in Digital Atmosphere? For meteorology class, we have to plot the inches of Mercury (ALT) pressure lines but I don't know how to do that in Digital ATmosephere? Does it have to be done through scripting? I NEED HELP!

THanks,
Michael
weasel2

Post by weasel2 »

footballrunner11 wrote:How can I go about plotting the isobars in Digital Atmosphere? For meteorology class, we have to plot the inches of Mercury (ALT) pressure lines but I don't know how to do that in Digital ATmosephere? Does it have to be done through scripting? I NEED HELP!

THanks,
Michael
From the menu on the top select analysis, then pressure, and finally altimeter setting.

Pat
footballrunner11

weasel2 wrote:From the menu on the top select analysis, then pressure, and finally altimeter setting.

Pat

Pat,
I was doing this earlier but the isobars drawn in Digital Atmosphere didn't match those that were given to us by my teacher as a sample. I took old data from '02 and compared the generated map to the handdrawn map from the same date and the isobars were different. Are isobars left up to the plotter's discretion? Also, how can I display weather stations with 3 letter acronyms such as MLB, SSI, etc.?
weasel2

Post by weasel2 »

footballrunner11 wrote:Pat,
I was doing this earlier but the isobars drawn in Digital Atmosphere didn't match those that were given to us by my teacher as a sample. I took old data from '02 and compared the generated map to the handdrawn map from the same date and the isobars were different. Are isobars left up to the plotter's discretion? Also, how can I display weather stations with 3 letter acronyms such as MLB, SSI, etc.?
To display the station ID click file then preferences; click the station plots tab, then maybe use the drop box in the bottom center and select ID(ICAO) to display in that field. Save the newly created plot model as default.

The hand analysis you are referring to was probably a little more accurate. Digital Atmosphere isobars will often look a little different than the surface maps from the Hydrometeorological Prediction Center as well
footballrunner11

weasel2 wrote:To display the station ID click file then preferences; click the station plots tab, then maybe use the drop box in the bottom center and select ID(ICAO) to display in that field. Save the newly created plot model as default.

The hand analysis you are referring to was probably a little more accurate. Digital Atmosphere isobars will often look a little different than the surface maps from the Hydrometeorological Prediction Center as well
Pat,
You've been a great help to me thus far. I also appreciate the response to my post in the Script forum. Unfortunately, since this map will be taken as a project grade, my isobars have to be pretty accurate. What exactly is the Hydrometeorological Prediction Center and can that help me with plotting my isobars?

EDIT: Okay, I found the Hydrometeorological Prediction Center through a simple google search. However, I need a map from Nov. 12, 2003. Any chance such a map exists on the HPC website. Thanks again!

EDIT 2: Well, I've found the map that matches the sample given by my teacher and once again, it doesn't match whatsoever. The sample from my teacher was done in terms of Altimeters, not millibars. Anymore ideas? This project is due next week and he hasn't been around to explain how to draw the isobars yet! I'm getting stressed...
weasel2

Post by weasel2 »

footballrunner11 wrote:Pat,
You've been a great help to me thus far. I also appreciate the response to my post in the Script forum. Unfortunately, since this map will be taken as a project grade, my isobars have to be pretty accurate. What exactly is the Hydrometeorological Prediction Center and can that help me with plotting my isobars?

EDIT: Okay, I found the Hydrometeorological Prediction Center through a simple google search. However, I need a map from Nov. 12, 2003. Any chance such a map exists on the HPC website. Thanks again!

EDIT 2: Well, I've found the map that matches the sample given by my teacher and once again, it doesn't match whatsoever. The sample from my teacher was done in terms of Altimeters, not millibars. Anymore ideas? This project is due next week and he hasn't been around to explain how to draw the isobars yet! I'm getting stressed...
Is your teacher's chart on paper or digital?

What time on 11/12/2003?

Basically, the altimeter setting is drawn every .05 inches. You may also want to match the map size as closely as possible in Digital Atmosphere as this will effect the "look" of the isobars.
footballrunner11

weasel2 wrote:Is your teacher's chart on paper or digital?

What time on 11/12/2003?

Basically, the altimeter setting is drawn every .05 inches. You may also want to match the map size as closely as possible in Digital Atmosphere as this will effect the "look" of the isobars.
The chart is on paper. I have to plot data from 11/12/2003. The data that I am comparing my Digital Atm. rendering is from 4:00 PM EST on Nov. 05, 2002. Our teacher is having us draw the altimeter lines ever .08 inches. I tried changing the "05" to "08" in the altimeter script but this still proved useless. The map that I have on paper looks absolutely NOTHING like the one drawn by DA. The isobars are COMPLETELY different. They aren't even remotely close, which worries me. I would have no problem doing this by hand if I properly understood it.
weasel2

Post by weasel2 »

footballrunner11 wrote:The chart is on paper. I have to plot data from 11/12/2003. The data that I am comparing my Digital Atm. rendering is from 4:00 PM EST on Nov. 05, 2002. Our teacher is having us draw the altimeter lines ever .08 inches. I tried changing the "05" to "08" in the altimeter script but this still proved useless. The map that I have on paper looks absolutely NOTHING like the one drawn by DA. The isobars are COMPLETELY different. They aren't even remotely close, which worries me. I would have no problem doing this by hand if I properly understood it.
The maps are from different dates, so of course they aren't going to look anything alike.

Digital Atmosphere does adjust the interval to .08 if that is what you set it to in the script... I just checked

If you want, I'll do up some maps in Digital Atmosphere from 11/12/2003 and send them your way (it would help if I knew the exact hour used). Maybe they will match you teacher's fairly close - and if they do, you should feel somewhat confident in using Digital atmosphere for your project.
footballrunner11

weasel2 wrote:The maps are from different dates, so of course they aren't going to look anything alike.

Digital Atmosphere does adjust the interval to .08 if that is what you set it to in the script... I just checked
Sorry for the confusion. Let me clarify. I went into DA, retrieved the data from the SAMPLE (11/05/02). This is what didn't compare to the hand drawn map. I wasn't comparing data from 11/05/02 with 11/12/03. I was comparing the same dates.
weasel2

Post by weasel2 »

footballrunner11 wrote:Sorry for the confusion. Let me clarify. I went into DA, retrieved the data from the SAMPLE (11/05/02). This is what didn't compare to the hand drawn map. I wasn't comparing data from 11/05/02 with 11/12/03. I was comparing the same dates.
If you want, I'll do up some maps in Digital Atmosphere from 11/12/2003 and send them your way (it would help if I knew the exact hour used). Maybe they will match you teacher's fairly close - and if they do, you should feel somewhat confident in using Digital atmosphere for your project.

Edit: Do you have the raw data file from 11/12/2003?