Import Planetary Map function does not work

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
Wood Ant

Import Planetary Map function does not work

Post by Wood Ant »

Hello All,

Happy 2008

For some time now I have trying to use the Import Planetary Map function, and for some reason it just will not work ofter as not I get an out of memory message, or the map is displayed does not match area required.
Please see Image

I mages used is PIA03395. Has any one had any luck using this image?
Can recomend simular maps to us or have a good working copy of the abouve map.

Please Help

Regards Wood And
Attachments
Problem.jpg
weasel2

Post by weasel2 »

That's odd. Is the map a 2:1 ratio? like 8000 X 4000...

I'm also wondering if you notice this problem in areas away from 0 degrees longitude?

Pat
weasel2

Post by weasel2 »

This map won't work in Digital atmosphere.

First: the map dimension isn't 2:1 at 21600 x 9049 you would need to add 875.5 to both the top and bottom (this mainly happened because th SRTM mission didn't cover the entire globe. If I remember correctly anything above 60 degrees isn't covered due to the limitations of the Shuttle's orbit.)

Second: It is a mercator projection. You'll probably want to find one that is a cartesian (without projection) map.

AS far as the out of memory issue.... you are dealing with a huge map, so that's probably what is causing that problem.

Anyway, google, planet earth texture, and you should find a map image that will work in digital atmosphere.

Pat
weasel2

Post by weasel2 »

See your PM messages as to a recommendation which may be what you are looking for.

Pat