V2.04 Font problems continue.

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
Peter

Font Problems

Post by Peter »

Further to my post below:

Using NMC/NCEP raster results in showing Pressure Tendency as stated in your previous discussions.
showthread.php?t=1461

My post was more concerned with the fact when DA is uninstalled and reinstalled the TrueType font should not be deleted or corrupted in anyway if it has been installed correctly within Windows.

Having used DAWS 1.1g, Equinox, now DA 2.0,2.01,2.04,2.05,2.06 and so on..... on 2 computers and now 2 laptops, I have never experienced corrupted or deleted fonts during uninstall or install, as I believe I installed the font correctly within the Windows environment.

Having watched the forum and noticed some users have font problems, it occurred to me maybe the reason was incorrect installation of the font within Windows.

Therefore if meteo.ttf is installed correctly AND the station has reported a full dataset AND a symbols which is within the font is missing, there's a DA problem.
But if the station has not reported a full dataset AND/OR the data symbol required is not in the symbols list within meteo.ttf, the symbol cannot be displayed and that's a station reporting problem and/or a limitation of the symbols available in the meteo.ttf

Regarding not display some symbols please refer to my post below.

To use TrueType font (meteo.ttf) and to display pressure tendency symbols and others, it would be necessary to add more symbols within that font. In other words Tim has to produce another TT font with cloud cover and pressure tendency symbols included.

Regards
chuck

Post by chuck »

Dave Exton wrote:Hi all,

Once bitten, twice shy! I kept a spare font table stashed away. I'll copy it back to my system fonts folder and continue to use the old version of DA.

Regards,
Dave Exton.
Dave, do you know where I can get a copy of the older file ,with the cloud and trend . Like a fool I deleted my old copies of digatom.
Chuck
ianp

meteo.ttf is WeatherSymbols

Post by ianp »

Hi folks,

You won't see meteo.ttf in your fonts list - it's called WeatherSymbols (TrueType).
I've had the same problem, I removed the font file, downloaded the meto.ttf file from DOWNLOADS and installed it.

All this because under true type my PTEND is plotting only as numbers and I don't see cloud types either.

If I set fonts to NMC/NCEP raster I do see clouds and tendency - therefore they are present as data - as the true type numbers indicated.
Peter

meteo.ttf is WeatherSymbols

Post by Peter »

You are correct and if you view the symbols contained within meteo.ttf (Weather symbols font) you can see why we do not have cloud and pressure tendency symbols, because they are not included in the font.

In XP:

Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Character Map

Open Character Map and select 'Weather Symbols' font

The meteo.ttf needs to be updated to include other symbols.
Only Tim can do this as I am sure it would be neceassry to have DA's unicode addresses to 'look up' the required symbols within the font.

Regards
Attachments
Meteo_TTF.png
chuck

Post by chuck »

For those of us that not show pressure tendency or cloud symbols. Check your version of weather fonts(of meto font).
The version that shows the pressure tendency and cloud symbols is version is 2004;2.6. The version that does not is version 1 made in 2002. It seems that if we down load a new version of digatal atom. we get the old version.
I hope this helps.
Chuck
chuck

Post by chuck »

For those of us that do not show the pressure or cloud symbols. Check the version of weather (or metro)fonts you are using. the version that does NOT have these symbols is
vesion 1 dated 2002. The version that DOES have these symbols is version 2004; 2.6.
When a new version of digital atmosphere is down loaded it seems to have the OLD version.
Chuck
geophi

Post by geophi »

The link to meteo.ttf from the Downloads page has very recently been updated to now have two zip files, one labeled new and one labeled old. The one labeled new appears to be the one that is installed when installing newer versions of Digital Atmosphere, and is 23 KB in size. The one labeled old is 38 KB in size and was what I needed to get the pressure tendency symbols back. This was with DA Pro 2.06. Thanks to Dave Exton for pointing out there was a new download link.
Peter

DA font problem appears to be solved

Post by Peter »

Gentlemen,

The missing symbols problem in meteo.ttf appears to be solved.

Recently Dave and I download meteo.ttf at the same time. His file was complete, mine was missing cloud and pressure tendency symbols.
The only difference between us, he downloaded using Vista and I used XP.

After discussions with an I.T. friend it appears there is a download problem with Windows XP SP3, truncating downloads on some files. I believe the problem only applies to XP SP3 but not too sure on that point.

Therefore the problem was never in DA or meteo.ttf but in Windows XP SP3.

Tim has now uploaded meteo.ttf in zip form to DA download page to act as a work around the problem.
I have downloaded both 'old' and 'new' TTF and both have the full compliment of symbols on my XP SP3 computer with either file.

Therefore if you have a problem with missing symbols, download meteo.ttf, unzip and install and you should have all the symbols.

Let's hope this have finalised this problem for those who were affected.

Below is an image of my meteo.ttf symbols.

Regards
Attachments
2009 05 27 - 1.png
chuck

Post by chuck »

All most all of this thread is correct. After much checking I found that the new digital atomsphere contained a copy of the font file that was written in 2002. I emailed Tim yesterday and ask him to post a copy of the file written in 2004. In the downloads it is called meto.ttf old. Using that file all works ok now. On some computers the file is not replaced it the program install. On others it is . That is why it was so hard to find. Thanks to this thread and the info in it I was able to run it down.
Chuck
Tim Vasquez
Administrator

Post by Tim Vasquez »

Unless you all have comments about the issue we will be packaging further DA versions with the 39 KB meteo.ttf file dated 11/14/2003.

If further problems are reported I will contract out the font file for repair work, as fonts are not my specialty area.

I appreciate everyone's help in isolating the problem and providing detailed reports.

Tim