DAWS problems

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
skyview

DAWS problems

Post by skyview »

1st, data still will not erase from previously generated maps from earlier DAWS, forcing a reload of the map to clear data.

2nd, new maps generated with this release will not save overlays, counties, highways, etc, despite SAVING the map. The base map which is loaded should not have its overlays errased!!!!!

3rd, when erasing data, map generated earlier than this release, also disappears (the map is gone, in my case, a CO map, with erase, suddenly becomes a different map I have saved, in my case, CO-WY)

4th, it appears ETA/NGM data is downloading, but program will not allow plotting of those fields (as near as I can tell...gives error saying No ETA or NGM output was found. Custom data field no successful. This is not from grid data which I have not attempted today.

5th, each patch seems to erase my saved preferences, particularly in regard to styles...since I do not like the defaults with the program, this is a bit of an issue with each patch. Even when I set my preferences, ie smaller fonts on plots, I am getting inconsistant plots, some are the new size I say, yet a plot or two later it returns to the larger default size (way to large to see much data)

Tim Tonge
Tim Vasquez
Administrator

Post by Tim Vasquez »

1st, data still will not erase from previously generated maps from earlier DAWS, forcing a reload of the map to clear data.
3rd, when erasing data, map generated earlier than this release, also disappears (the map is gone, in my case, a CO map, with erase, suddenly becomes a different map I have saved, in my case, CO-WY)
Please do a Map > Generate, then give me a detailed step by step of what keystrokes you use which lead up to the erase problems / white square. I have not encountered this under the new build. I don't advise using any older maps until we can ascertain whether a bug exists in Map > Generate in the new build.
2nd, new maps generated with this release will not save overlays, counties, highways, etc, despite SAVING the map. The base map which is loaded should not have its overlays errased!!!!!
A lot of people would disagree with you. Most people do not want the overlays erased (see poll in this forum). If you want it to be permanent use the Map > Merge command.
4th, it appears ETA/NGM data is downloading, but program will not allow plotting of those fields (as near as I can tell...gives error saying No ETA or NGM output was found. Custom data field no successful. This is not from grid data which I have not attempted today.
Custom data does need to be fixed again, it's on my repair items list.
5th, each patch seems to erase my saved preferences, particularly in regard to styles...since I do not like the defaults with the program, this is a bit of an issue with each patch. Even when I set my preferences, ie smaller fonts on plots, I am getting inconsistant plots, some are the new size I say, yet a plot or two later it returns to the larger default size (way to large to see much data)
In the latest version install package you are given the option of installing the new Style files, if you do so, the old ones get overwritten. The File > Preferences settings itself will not overwrite your old File > Preferences settings during a patch install.

Tim
skyview

Post by skyview »

TimVasquez wrote:
Please do a Map > Generate, then give me a detailed step by step of what keystrokes you use which lead up to the erase problems / white square. I have not encountered this under the new build. I don't advise using any older maps until we can ascertain whether a bug exists in Map > Generate in the new build.

Seems to work with new release, will advise if problem returns.
A lot of people would disagree with you. Most people do not want the overlays erased (see poll in this forum). If you want it to be permanent use the Map > Merge command.

Well could not find Merge command but did find Copy Markings to Base map which solved...thanks for help here!
Custom data does need to be fixed again, it's on my repair items list.

Thanks again
In the latest version install package you are given the option of installing the new Style files, if you do so, the old ones get overwritten. The File > Preferences settings itself will not overwrite your old File > Preferences settings during a patch install.

Ok, will keep eye on this from here out and advise if a problem.

Tim
Carl Sidor

generate map problems

Post by Carl Sidor »

Dear Tim:

This is a problem that I encountered before the e patch, and after installation, I am running Workstation v1.0e. Starting from the base map I hit generate map>united states. The USA appeared as requested. I clicked on save basemap and titled it usamap. then I hit generate map>Michigan, and again Michigan appeared. I hit add counties>outlines, and they were plotted. I then hit save basemap and named it michiganmap. So far so good. I then hit load basemap>usamap and the USA appeared. I plotted surface temperature and it appeared. However, when I hit erase, the Michigan map appeared instead of erasing the USA map. This happened each time I loaded usamap, then used the erase function. Am I doing something wrong? I was able to use this sequence freely after the c patch was installed, but not after d.

Cordially,
Carl Sidor
Wally Mayo

Post by Wally Mayo »

Yes, I can confirm this.
I generate US map, save.
Recall a Virginia map generated before US was generated.
VA comes up, plots, then hit erase...
Walla ... the US map comes back up.

So, it seems, that erase will pull up the most recent GENERATED map, period.