Updated station file for DAWS

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
vproton

Re: Updated station file for DAWS

Post by vproton »

Is the custom file add on in the manual?
Wally

Post by Wally »

I don't know. The stations I've added ... I've put into the main file, since these are NOAA NWS standard stations. I didn't want to have to index or look through multiple files to check for updates/duplications. That is a choice I made for me, and just offered it for anyone who wants "a form" of a complete update.
I tend to think of the add on station file as being for special/local (like meso) areas, that are outside the standard NOAA Metar database ... which may be exactly your case.
It seems you could create a file in the same excel format (used in the main file) for new stations, and using the menu choice for CUSTOM station file, add them.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Additions not as numerous, but some "sweet" ones in there, for "holes" in the southeast US.

K3R7 Jennings, LA
KTOC Toccoa, GA
KAZE Hazelhurst, GA
KFMM Ft. Morgan, CO
KFZG Fitzgerald, GA
KIOB Mount Sterling, KY
KK22 Prestonsburg, KY
KSRB Sparta, TN
KM46 Colstrip, MT

Station added previously but not listed in prior additions list
KTHA Tullahoma, TN

See prior posts on files to download and how to update your setup.
lrdheat

Post by lrdheat »

Hi Wally,

I discovered that KQCC plots near Yuma, AZ. It is really Asadabad, Afghanistan 34.51 lat 71.07 long (east), 844 meters.

I know this item isn't yours, but, I miss plotting MADIS obs.! Hope that will be possible with ease again!
Greg Higgins

Post by Greg Higgins »

lrdheat

Post by lrdheat »

Thanks for the link...when I clicked on it, I got a table of all of the stations that were available at the current time, their lat/long data, but no observations to go with these sites. Do you know how to obtain the observations from these stations, and how to have DA recognize the obs and stations? I used to load the file named BIG FILE, and it worked like a champ...
Wally

Post by Wally »

lrdheat wrote:Hi Wally,

I discovered that KQCC plots near Yuma, AZ. It is really Asadabad, Afghanistan 34.51 lat 71.07 long (east), 844 meters.

I know this item isn't yours, but, I miss plotting MADIS obs.! Hope that will be possible with ease again!

Yep. Apparently error in original file. It should be KLGF, and has been corrected in latest downloadable file.
Thanks!
Wally

Post by Wally »

lrdheat wrote:Thanks for the link...when I clicked on it, I got a table of all of the stations that were available at the current time, their lat/long data, but no observations to go with these sites. Do you know how to obtain the observations from these stations, and how to have DA recognize the obs and stations? I used to load the file named BIG FILE, and it worked like a champ...
It may look like just a table of stations, but the data is there (somewhat coded - see the sections with labels like T, RH, DD, RES, etc.). The link given gives you the data for the entire US, which is a monster file, which if find too cluttery for a large map.

Go to https://madis-data.nws.noaa.gov/public/ ... guest.html to get MADIS with many choices, esp. limiting the area (and thus, file size). Choose TXT file output. As a "guest" you will get many providers, but not all, as some limit their data to educational/gov. users.

For example, I use
https://madis-data.nws.noaa.gov/cgi-bin ... &pvd=VADOT

to get data in a rectangle around my region. If you're sharp, you can substitute your lat/long box coordinates in the above link (for 35, 39 and -84 ,-78) to get your boxed area (keep high number high, and low number low). Otherwise, go to the first link above, and play with it. You can choose state, coordinates, etc.

DA has the "smarts" to ingest and plot the "text" file output by MADIS.

I miss "calling" this inside DA, so I could automatically have this happen in the scripting, but MADIS changed their secure link protocol. I believe Tim is in the process of rewriting DA from the ground up, but having to use a different compiler. A bigger job ... thus a longer effort, but I'm sure this will get fixed.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Time for another update. (It's been since July)

Here are the added/updated stations:

KM40 Aberdeen/Amory MS
KBXA Bogalusa LA
KSRB Sparta TN (only in old version)
KAIB Nucla CO
KZPH Zephyrhills FL
KCKF Cordele GA
K5R8 De Quincy LA
KADF Arkadelphia AR*
KL38 Gonzales LA
KHAE Hannibal MO
KF44 Athens TX
KIKT Mississippi Canyon 474 (Gulf platform)
*= updated ID

See earlier part of thread for instructions/info.
tmagan

Post by tmagan »

KPTV is on the wrong coastline.