DA Malfunction in Windows 7

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
metman

DA Malfunction in Windows 7

Post by metman »

I downloaded and installed DA on 24 Feb 2011. I launched DA a couple of times after that and each time some of the surface isobars would only draw part way then go to the edge of the chart as several straight parallel lines bearing no relationship to the underlying data. Then, on 26 Feb 2011, Windows failed to start due to "recently installed device or application failure" and the computer went into recovery mode and went to a restore point. The computer has worked properly ever since but my downloaded copy of DA was deleted. I suspect my copy of DA was the problem.

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 15R N5010 with 4 GB of RAM and a 500 GB HD and Intel i3 processor purchased in Sept 2010. The OS is Windows 7 Home Premium. Security is provided by McAfee which I neglected to turn off during installation.

I would like to download and install another copy of DA but not if the same thing is likely to happen again.

Suggestions, anyone??
Budgie

Re: DA Malfunction in Windows 7

Post by Budgie »

Have you got the 32 or 64 bit version of Win7?
Have you tried downloading DA again since the system restore, it could have been a corrupted file in the download or something like that?
Also, were you running DA as administrator?
I've been running DA on the 32 bit version of Win7 for about 4 months with no issues.
chuck

Post by chuck »

Budgie wrote:Have you got the 32 or 64 bit version of Win7?
Have you tried downloading DA again since the system restore, it could have been a corrupted file in the download or something like that?
Also, were you running DA as administrator?
I've been running DA on the 32 bit version of Win7 for about 4 months with no issues.
I run it on windows 7 64 bit. works ok. As Budge said try down loading a new copy.
Chuck
metman

Post by metman »

Hi!

Thanks for your help everyone. As suggested, I turned off my firewall and virus scanning and downloaded another copy of DA and I left them off while the installation was in progress. I am very happy to say that now I have a functional copy of DA in Windows 7. I can't prove it, of course, but it seems that my previous copy was corrupted.