v1.0e: Problem with Composite Reflectivity

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
Baroclinicity

v1.0e: Problem with Composite Reflectivity

Post by Baroclinicity »

When I plot the short range composite reflectivity (37 CR) in Day v1.0e, the data doesn't plot the way it should. However, data plots correctly for the long range version (38 CR). It looks like the data is not being scaled correctly. I don't think it's the basemap, as other products are showing correctly.

Here is a comparison between the DA plot and the NWS website plot

DA

NWS

Baroclinicity

Post by Baroclinicity »

After looking at other products, I am getting mixed results with the precipitation accumulation data as well (1 hour, 3 hour and storm total). It appears that the program is centering the data at the lower-right corner of the basemap or off the basemap. I have tested these products using freshly drawn basemaps, instead of imported maps. Again, the problem seems to be intermittent. Sometimes I can get those products to plot correctly, other times they look like they aren't scaled properly, with the data not centered on the image. I have also noticed this when viewing archived Level III data.
Baroclinicity

Post by Baroclinicity »

Here is another example using Storm Total Precip. Map is centered in KILN at 750 miles.

Tim Vasquez
Administrator

Post by Tim Vasquez »

This is interesting. We are having problems finding the scaling factors in the data packets... it's almost as if the radars are making up their own coordinate systems. I will revisit this issue again. The bug would only affect certain raster products such as the ones you posted, and would not affect radial products such as Ref/Vel/Width.

Tim