Nexrad Color Schemes (discrepancy?)

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
texsky

Nexrad Color Schemes (discrepancy?)

Post by texsky »

Tim,

When I try to transfer the radar color scheme I used in older versions of DA such as v2.09, to v3.10a, I notice that the colors, and consequently dbZ values, don't match up. As an example here are a couple of images taken with the same data but with the different DA versions. Is this an issue, or am I missing something here?
Attachments
v3.10a.jpg
v3.10a.jpg (190.65 KiB) Viewed 31274 times
v2.09.jpg
v2.09.jpg (195.39 KiB) Viewed 31274 times
Wally

Re: Nexrad Color Schemes (discrepancy?)

Post by Wally »

I wonder if the newer colors may be a closer/exact implementation, if based on the NOAA radar info page that gives info on coding, product codes, colors, etc. I imagine he had to get the other radar info as well at such a site. Maybe.
My sense is that I like lighter colors so plots can be seen more easily. Here is my palette if you are interested. And, here is a chart made with it, though I am still tweaking the colors (want to make the darkest green a little more dark).
http://weatherroanoke.com/digatmos.nex

texsky

Post by texsky »

Wally,

I've compared 3.10a against GRLevel3 and the public NWS radar pages looking for dbZ matches, and the colors are better with the older DA versions. So I'm guessing something is amiss with 3.10a, but I can't be certain about that. Hopefully, Tim can clarify when he gets the chance.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Yeah, seems he's churning pretty heavy lately.
Looking closer, I see what you mean.
I'm still "doctoring" my palette (for lighter colors). Will post a new version I'm using shortly.
texsky

Post by texsky »

However Tim chooses to proceed with this, it's not a huge issue for me since the colors can be remapped using Imagemagick. Don't know if others know how to do that though.