DAWS version 'p' radar and map generating bugs

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
Al Pietrycha

DAWS version 'p' radar and map generating bugs

Post by Al Pietrycha »

Tim, DAWS is wonderful software. Keep up the great work! Here are a few bugs I've uncovered with version "p", using Windows XP. Please advise if I'm in error.

1) The following scripted radar command no longer works/grabs the data with version "p" and yet, the program will retrieve and plot the data if done manually using the radar pull down menu.

RADAR,BREF1,BOXOKXENX
(can be any CONUS radar sites)

2) After generating various maps in the U.S. then overlaying county outlines, the county outlines will not save on the maps for later map retrieval.

3) Rather difficult to see weather depiction in the sfc station model compared to DA2000 (RA, SN, HZ, FG, TSRA). I understand the vector issue but can the clarifty be improved.

Future build request…Please enable plotting of the C-MAN sites AND the ability to incorporate profiler data on constant height charts (i.e., similar to what the SPC and COD are producing on the web)

Thanks for your time,

--Al Pietrycha
Chicago, IL
Tim Vasquez
Administrator

Re: DAWS version 'p' radar and map generating bugs

Post by Tim Vasquez »

Al Pietrycha wrote:RADAR,BREF1,BOXOKXENX
There needs to be a space between each station. BOX OKX ENX. I went to the docs to add this info, but the manual already says: "The stationlist is a list of 3-letter NEXRAD identifiers separated with spaces".
After generating various maps in the U.S. then overlaying county outlines, the county outlines will not save on the maps for later map retrieval.
Use Map > Copy Markings To Basemap to make them permanent.
Rather difficult to see weather depiction in the sfc station model compared to DA2000 (RA, SN, HZ, FG, TSRA).
Unfortunately we are now too close to final release to be able to fix this but I'll keep this on the agenda for post-release fixes. Generally you can improve the legibility if you go to a slightly larger font size (in styles). I may subcontract out this font work to have it professionally done.

Tim