Map problems V1.0n

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
Fred

Map problems V1.0n

Post by Fred »

V1.0n / XP

Import map.
I use this for satellite images as background.
Importing BMP: nothing happens. Importing JPG. I get the picture. Only if I want to add plots etc. I get a message "can only modify an image if it contains a bitmap". Importing Gif: not tested.

Load map
If the workchart is empty and I try to load a map I get the message "no available workchart". After generating a map I can load the map I want.

Generate map
When I load a map and look under "generate map" the latitude and logitude are rounded. Because I use this for a very precise import of my satellite images I prefer the values I used while generating (55.73 and 4.95 instead of 56 and 5). Also the value of the scale changes (from 3250 to 3249.997, 3249.994 etc.).

Data retieval
Deleting sites is still not possible.
After every update my changes in this table are gone. Can you think of a way to keep these?

Planetary maps
Making, saving and loading works (I used copy markings). But when I try to zoom in the overlay disappears.

Fred
Tim Vasquez
Administrator

Re: Map problems V1.0n

Post by Tim Vasquez »

Fred wrote:Import map
I use this for satellite images as background.
Importing BMP: nothing happens. Importing JPG. I get the picture. Only if I want to add plots etc. I get a message "can only modify an image if it contains a bitmap". Importing Gif: not tested.
Yes, all of this was broken. Thanks, I have fixed it all.
Load map
If the workchart is empty and I try to load a map I get the message "no available workchart". After generating a map I can load the map I want.
A workchart needs to be displayed on the screen before you can load a map. This is just temporary until we get the core of the program debugged. At least I think you are trying to load a map with no workchart.
Generate map
When I load a map and look under "generate map" the latitude and logitude are rounded. Because I use this for a very precise import of my satellite images I prefer the values I used while generating (55.73 and 4.95 instead of 56 and 5). Also the value of the scale changes (from 3250 to 3249.997, 3249.994 etc.).
I have fixed the rounding problem. I don't see the scale changing (or I may not understand the problem you're seeing).
Data retieval
I tried and it works fine. Make sure the site is highlighted instead of checked. If you have further problems please provide specific details.
After every update my changes in this table are gone. Can you think of a way to keep these?
Yes: when installing the patch uncheck the option to replace Internet resource tables.
Planetary maps
Making, saving and loading works (I used copy markings). But when I try to zoom in the overlay disappears.
Which overlay markings are those?

Tim
Carlos Martins

Post by Carlos Martins »

Hi! Even with patch p I stil have prolbelms im importing images and trying to plot weather observations with the error - "Can only modify an image it it contains a bitmap"
Fred

Post by Fred »

DAWS V1.0p / XP

Fred wrote:
Import map

Yes, all of this was broken. Thanks, I have fixed it all.

Both BMP and JPG works OK. No problems with plotting!
+++++++

Quote:
Generate map

I have fixed the rounding problem. I don't see the scale changing (or I may not understand the problem you're seeing).

Rounding problem OK. Scaling: generate a map with 55,73 / 4.95 and scale 3250. Go back to generate map and the scale is changed in 3249.997. If you genereate again and go back it is 3250.994 etc.

++++++++++++++

Quote:
Data retieval

I tried and it works fine. Make sure the site is highlighted instead of checked. If you have further problems please provide specific details.

"Add site". Give it a name and OK. Highlight the new site. "delete site". Nothing happens: the site remains in the table.
+++++++++++++++++

Quote:

Yes: when installing the patch uncheck the option to replace Internet resource tables.

Of course, but in this way I also miss changes in the table. Perhaps add this as a future wish.
++++++++

Quote:
Planetary maps

Which overlay markings are those?

I generate a map. Then I import planetary map. Then "copy markers onto base map" (I don't know the reason but is was in the manual). Save base map. Load base map. Up to here everything fine. I get the map with the planetary map. As soon as I use the "zoom in" the planetary map disappears and the normal map appears.

Fred
Tim Vasquez
Administrator

Post by Tim Vasquez »

Fred wrote:Scaling: generate a map with 55,73 / 4.95 and scale 3250. Go back to generate map and the scale is changed in 3249.997. If you genereate again and go back it is 3250.994 etc.
I have adjusted some code that set the scale to r / zoom+0.000001 which prevented a division by zero error. This may get rid of the creeping value, but since you are seeing results changing by thousandths (rather than millionths) I cannot be confident whether I have fixed the correct area of code or not. Contributing to the problem is the fact I can't duplicate it even with your instructions. It may be an XP-specific problem. The fix is in upcoming V1.0q.
Tim Vasquez
Administrator

Post by Tim Vasquez »

As soon as I use the "zoom in" the planetary map disappears and the normal map appears.
Planetary maps are designed as a optional overlay (underlay?), not as a primary geographic field. Thus you will definitely lose the planetary map whenever the map settings are changed.

To make changes regarding this behavior I'd have to think about how to implement this without causing problems, and get feedback from other users. So it will be a change for a future version.

Tim Vasquez
Fred

Post by Fred »

V1.0q / XP

Tim

The scaling problem is fixed! Every time I return to "generate map" the scale is 3250.000. Perfect.

Deleting sites
Still not possible. I tried to change some properties of the URX-file but no difference. The only advantage compared to previous patches is that I can delete them directly in the file. Going back to DAWS they are still gone (before they were there again).

Fred