Post requests for Digital Atmosphere V1.2 work

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
Peter Bartlett

3D Roaming Soundings

Post by Peter Bartlett »

Tim,

Would it be possible to include in the next upgrade a 3D analysis section as in the previous version of digital atmosphere.

- cross-section plots
- 3D roaming sounding
wxforecaster

Post by wxforecaster »

Try to make the program do pretty much everything. I really want to work with the RUC 2 Data (236 domain) so i can run it every hour. But right now, i cant seem to make it work. I want to do what the SPC does with there severe weather stuff.

Or i could say make it work like GEMPAK but that is a LOT of work!
wxforecaster

Post by wxforecaster »

Also maybe like a clutter command for scripting. Like if you want less wind barbs, you can write a command (something Tim will come up with) and put 100 for all, 50 for half and so on!

I just want to produce less wind barbs on this maps.. I want about 75-65 % of the windbarbs on there.

http://www.wxforecaster.com/DAWS/meso_dew_vect.gif

Thanks
Fred

Post by Fred »

In addition to the previous wish. The possibility to combine commands like windbarbs, vectors, steamlines etc. with GRTN etc.

Fred
Fred

Script: Call

Post by Fred »

I already posted this one some time ago but do it again because this one will structure using scripts a lot and makes it much easier!

Is it possible to add a function where you can call another script file: CALL, filename, where filename is a valid script name?

The advantage is that you can make a few main scripts and add them to the scheduler. In this main script you can add a lot of CALL's to existing small scripts and the main script will run it in one time. In this way you can easily make and test small scripts and give them useful names. It is very difficult to maintain one big script with a lot of commands, even with good comments.

A second advantage is that you can make one script for one thing (e.g. temp) and use it with a lot of different maps.

Fred
wxforecaster

Post by wxforecaster »

Generate a Skew-T via Scripting and using data from ETA/GFS/RUC to plot forecasted Sket-T's via Scripting. That would ROCK!
wxforecaster

Post by wxforecaster »

Have the software be able to read and use BUFKIT data!
wxforecaster

Post by wxforecaster »

Scripting with GRIB GRIB GRIB!!!!!!!!!!
Weasel

Mercator Isopleth Bug

Post by Weasel »

Isopleths get cut off at all four corners using the mercator projection at the following latitudes:

Begins at just over 42 degrees N, reaches its worst at ~48N, and disappears at ~52N. The same may be true of the southern hemisphere, but I haven't checked it.

Pat
figarocat

Post by figarocat »

A couple of bugs with plotting METAR data:

1. If a station is missing both temperature and dew point, it seems to fool the "Data Plot Crowding" control. To replicate this, find two stations that are very close to each other so that only one would normally plot due to the Data Plot Crowding setting. Use the QC feature to set both stations' temperatures and dew points to -9999.0. Then plot the surface data again, and both stations will be plotted even though they're practically on top of each other.

2. The following METAR plots with a temperature of 43 degrees:
KBFM 061453Z 19020G35KT 10SM OVC016 A2974 RMK AO2 SLP072 6//// 53014 $

In reality the temperature was missing, but it looks like the 6//// is being interpreted as the temperature. I'm not sure what the 6//// is supposed to be, but surrouding temperatures were in the mid-70's so it's not temperature. This seems to happen with a random station every once in a while.