Post requests for Digital Atmosphere V1.2 work

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
scarecrow93

Map Drawing Bug

Post by scarecrow93 »

Tim-

Found a map drawing bug. Details are in this thread.

viewtopic.php?t=421

Thanks,
Lance
tornadoforecaster

Re: wishes for DAWS update

Post by tornadoforecaster »

Well, here is what I have thus far....

1. Ability to plot Aviation graphics, including icing, turbulence, freezing level, convective sigmets, etc.
2. The highs/lows restored to upper level height contours.
3. The ability to plot convective watches and warnings.

Thanks,
Randy
DG Cashion

GeoTIFF Export

Post by DG Cashion »

1. Next wish is for TIFF format export with the GeoTIFF information file. We use this format for severe weather events. We export the *.TIF and *.GEO file and use them to overlay on a APRS (Automatic Position Reporting System) and we can overlay properly equipped field units on the TIFF file. It would assist with spotter safety.

2. Since I seem to missed the thread before the ability to use a time interval (5 minutes) instead of a time (2343) so we can force a new download of radar and export it automatically to the GeoTIFF format would be just awesome.

Thanks

David Cashion - KC9DBE
Cazenovia, IL, USA
Tim Vasquez
Administrator

Post by Tim Vasquez »

Thanks, I appreciate these continued inputs.

Tim
DG Cashion

Muli Panel Radar Displays

Post by DG Cashion »

When using SRM's, reflectivity, ect and wishing to look at all tilts of a product (for example, SRM 0.5, 1.5, 2.4 and 3.4) currently you have to pull each individually. It would be nice to be able to a. tile four workcharts and handle each individually or b. use a single workchart and have all four product panels tiled in a single workchart. Since most of my work is real-time and the faster the better I think a single workchart with the ability to 'get' all four products and tile with a single command would be preferable. Thanks

David Cashion - KC9DBE
Fred

Scheduling scripts

Post by Fred »

Based on previous wishes on the forum here are my personal preferences. A schedule with:
- Script name
- Active/inactive
For easy adding or stopping the execution of the script
- Start time
- Stop time
In this way I can use satellite images during the day and a generated map for the evening. Starting time gives the opportunity to start at e.g. 4 minutes past the hour.
- Every xx minutes

My ideas are also based on the freeware program, VisualCron 1.1.5; http://www.visualcron.com

Fred
Fred

Data retrieval window

Post by Fred »

Wish: run the data retrieval from a script in the background. In that way you can continue working. Now the window is in front and you must stop with working until it disappears.

Fred
enelson

Post by enelson »

Tim,

With the increasing availability of non-FAA/NWS surface reporting networks, it would be most helpful if DA would support station ID's that are longer than 4 characters. DOT RWIS networks are notorious for having 5-6 character ID's.

-Eric
scarecrow93

My bug and wish list

Post by scarecrow93 »

BUGS (ver 1.1e)-

1. OVER scripting bug - Loading a pre-made basemap and using the OVER command in a script will allow the previously generated basemap (through the MAKE script command or DAWS interface) to be shown along with the LOADed basemap. The data that is plotted/contoured is correctly referenced to the LOADed basemap. To duplicate this bug, do this:
- Make and save your own basemap.
- Generate another basemap by using the MAKE script command or the DAWS interface.
- Use this script:
  • load,<where your basemap is>
    analyze,OVER CONT FILL GRTN=65 COLOR=255:174:0 CONT FILL GRTN=60 COLOR=255:204:0 CONT FILL GRTN=55 COLOR=255:230:0 CONT FILL GRTN=50 COLOR=255:255:0 CONT FILL GRTN=45 COLOR=206:255:0 CONT FILL GRTN=40 COLOR=127:255:0 DEGF TEMP
- Do a SFC plot.

2. My previously mentioned map drawing bug earlier in this thread.

3. XVG and MCW data bugs - For some reason, 3-letter identifiers XVG and MCW are plotting where KXVG and KMCW are. I went in and tried to edit XVG and MCW out by using the digatmos.rul file which didn't work.

4. Scripting fills below zero - Whenever I try to use LSTN or GRTN modifiers with FILL below zero, DAWS doesn't like it. Details are at viewtopic.php?t=496.

WISHES-

-@SSZ scripting option to retrieve synoptic hour data.
-Labels on cut-off contours in the middle of the map.
-Shading option for convective outlook. Currently I get a line in the middle of a map and wonder which "right of the line" SPC wants.
-Convective watches (including FILL option) and warnings.
-Winter weather watches/warnings.
-A 4-letter METAR only option to get rid of the 3-letter ob problems mentioned above.
-The ability to export a chart as .png
-The ability to ftp a group of files at a time by using *.

Thanks! :D
Lance
n5pyk

Bug Items / Requests

Post by n5pyk »

1. When user selects GPS>Start>COMx, regardless of which COM port that was selected, COM1 always shows as the active port.

2. Document which NMEA sentences that DA will require to acquire position data.

3. Request that NA parse GPS GPGLL, GPRMC, and GPGGA for lat/lon

4. Allow plots of atmospheric refractivity using both UA and METAR data with ability to plot duct thicknesses as well to judge MIN frequency for duct propagation (Be happy to work with you on this).

5. User customizable (especially size/color) GPS present position dot.

6. JOG chart 32c096d.jpg is incorrect. Seems to be a duplication from a grid near MART, TX

7. Scripting capabilities that allow mathematical equations to be performed and plotted using existing variables as inputs. E.g. something similar to STOR=1 77.6/(TEMP+273.15) * P+(4800*RELH/ESAT)

8. When zooming in closely and importing shapefiles (and I believe county and road data as well), mapping engine draws extra lines (presumably due to folding of data). Recommend, on a reasonable zoom magnification basis, only plotting points which are within radius X or a box defined by x1,y1,x2,y2. Would likely speed up plots as well.

9. Documentation about how large an area, outside of a displayed map (e.g. DFW area), that surface station data is plotted. In other words, if one has a map of DALLAS county, would stations as far out as KSPS and KTYR be included in the contouring?

10. After GPS is stopped, little green icon remains on screen during map re-centers. Probably should stop being drawn.

11. Time interval based scheduling. (e.g. every 5 mins, 30 mins, 60 mins...)

Joe