Possible ASUS front fix for V1.1c users

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
texsky

Possible ASUS front fix for V1.1c users

Post by texsky »

Hello to all,

If you're experiencing "garbage" fronts and whatnot being drawn with your ASUS bulletin, I've discovered a workaround that I believe will solve this problem. First, the bug appears to be a result of graphical data elements being downloaded after the ASUS1 file, ie...Convective Outlooks, Hurricane Advisories, etc. Well, the fix is to simply move the ASUS bulletin in your digatmos.urx file to the very end of the list. This will ensure that the ASUS bulletin is downloaded last, thus(hopefully), fixing the problem. At least, this has worked for me. Let me know if this helps you as well.

Bob
Carl Sidor

ASUS fix

Post by Carl Sidor »

Bob:
I tried your work-around for the ASUS01 problems, and I can report that it works! The garbage fronts and trough lines are gone. Thanks for posting it, as I really missed being able to plot fronts clearly. That was one of the reasons that I kept DA2000 still around.
Cordially,
Carl Sidor
Roy Leep

Post by Roy Leep »

Bob:

Sorry it didn't work on my W98.

I hope this and other bugs are fixed by release time.

Roy
texsky

Post by texsky »

Roy,

I'm running WinXP, but I wouldn't think that the operating system has anything to do with this fix. Are you using V1.1c and are you sure you've edited the digatmos.urx correctly? If you'd like, I can email you the copy of the file that I use.

I also noticed you're still having problems with the San Juan radar. I can send you a copy of the digatmos.rad file that I'm using. It works just fine for me.

Let me know what you'd like to do.

Bob

btw, V1.1c *is* the final release for DAWS. However, Tim will be releasing a patch or two at some point in the future.
Carl Sidor

ASUS 1 fix

Post by Carl Sidor »

Bob:
It is with sadness that I must report a further problem with the workaround. I thought it was working fine last night, as the fronts plotted normally, but when I went to retreive the data at work, the non-frontal garbage had returned. I am stuck to figure out what may be going on. Any ideas?
Cordially,
Carl Sidor
texsky

Post by texsky »

Carl,

I wish I could be of further help, but I'm a little perplexed as to why you're still experiencing this problem. Since I made this change, I haven't had a single flare-up with the ASUS bulletin and I've probably made around 50 different downloads since then. They've all worked just fine.

To further verify this, I just got through messing around with the digatmos.urx file to see if I could re-create its former "buggy" state, and sure enough, when I move the URL to anywhere but the end of the list, I get the "garbage" again. Move it back to the bottom...problem disappears.

Are you using V1.1c? I'm using this release...the Pro version actually...but I wouldn't think this has anything to do with it, but, then again, maybe it does...I don't know.

The only other way I might be able to help is for me to email you a copy of the digatmos.urx file that I'm currently using. As I said earlier, I've been using it for several days now and haven't had any problems at all.

Let me know what you would like to do.

regards,
Bob
Roy Leep

Post by Roy Leep »

Bob:

I'd be happy to receive the emails with thanks.

Yes I am using 1.1c. but your pro version may make the difference. I too receive some good maps but many that have fronts everywhere.

Thanks again for your continued help.

Roy
Roy Leep

Post by Roy Leep »

Well Bob, I replaced my files. There has been no change in the extraneous lines. I was using "hamweather" for my site so I switched to NCEP and the lines were still there.

Haven't had time yet to work with the radar file.

Alll of this is in scripts.

Roy
texsky

Post by texsky »

Roy,

I must say I'm completely baffled as to why you're still experiencing problems with the ASUS bulletin. To check things a little bit further, I just downloaded the "standard" trial version of DAWS and rearranged the digatmos.urx file as I've described and the fronts get drawn perfectly clean. The only thing I might suggest to you is to try installing V1.1c into a new, separate folder and see if that doesn't clear things up. Maybe there's some kind of contamination going on with some files from an earlier version...don't know if that's the case, I'm really just guessing. But beyond that, the only other difference I can think of is that I believe you are using Win98 while I'm using WinXP. I'm not sure, however, why this would cause this type of problem.

Maybe Tim can comment on this once he gets back to this board.

Bob
Carl Sidor

ASUS 1 fix

Post by Carl Sidor »

Bob;
Thanks for the offer of the corrected file, but I think the problem is internal to the program, at least as far as I can tell. I noticed that when I did the download and displayed the fronts, there were a few extraneous lines. After shutting down my computer and starting it at work, there were more lines than before. It would seem to me that the position of the download command would not make any difference when importing a directory at a later date. Where are the new lines coming from? I am running 1.1c on WinXP.
Cordially,
Carl Sidor