problem with GRIB

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
Denis Le Bihan

problem with GRIB

Post by Denis Le Bihan »

I am trying to map GRIB files for Europe and Atlantic

I have sucessfully dowloaded into DAWS files such as:
ftp://weather.noaa.gov/us008_gf081_04072606_HxIAx (or HxLAx...)

GRIB fields are correctly shown in the control window (for instance: 500mb vorticity...) and the process seems to work properly:
» Importing GRIB data...
» Creating GRIB vector fields...
» Building GRIB indexes
» Done
» Plotting stations...
» Ready.

but ... there is no output on the map (but the title)!! :cry:

Denis Le Bihan
meteoreservice
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

WAFS files aren't importing correctly at the moment. Until Tim gets a chance to take a look at this, I would suggest downloading and installing Jeff Krob's windows remake of pcgridds32....wafs handling is a major feature of this program.
Denis Le Bihan

Post by Denis Le Bihan »

Thanks,

I'll give it a try.

DLB
jhn

Post by jhn »

I'm pretty angry that I bought this only to find the same problem. These files are the only ones that European users can realistically import sizewise. I bought DAWS to help me to forecast and its not good enough for the author to wash his hands of grib support for European users.
Tim Vasquez
Administrator

Post by Tim Vasquez »

Did you take advantage of the free 30-day test drive to see if it worked suitably for you? Did you report this bug on our forum during the beta test period? I am hoping both answers are "yes" and "yes".

Tim
jhn

Post by jhn »

I e-mailed you and was given the misleading and vague reply that grib was supported - period. I paid good money for this software and expected it to work. What a disgrace for you to sell this when it doesnt work properly. I haven't got the computing resources to download the trial version. I also think it is very wrong for you to virtually wash your hands of helping with grib problems and setup. This is one of the main uses for this software. I suggest you get your finger out and fix the problem rather than engage in smart-assed replies/excuses. I am not alone in experiencing this problem...it was flagged months ago.
Tim Vasquez
Administrator

Post by Tim Vasquez »

Jhn, you clearly breezed right through the software license in the install package. This license is in ALL versions.
Digital Atmosphere is provided as a 30-day trial so that you can evaluate whether it is acceptable. Therefore it is provided without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, including warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. The entire risk as to the quality and performance of Digital Atmosphere is borne by you.
Was any part of this not clear? Now you see why you have a responsibility to evaluate the software. From my perspective, GRIB worked fine with all datasets I tried it on. It was your responsibility to see if you were using datasets it didn't work with. The mention about not being able to get a trial version is lame -- I would have mailed you one free if you just asked.

What I suggest is to do like everyone else and wait a few weeks for the next patch. GRIB has been mentioned, but as you can see on this board, other users have other problems that they want to see addressed. It's only fair to them to work on their issues too rather than prioritizing the needs of one irate customer.

The other way we can handle this is I will refund your money and wipe you off the books, and that will be the end of that. Are you that unhappy with your software? Let me know.

Tim
jhn

Post by jhn »

I'm not going to keep having a go. I realise that other users have more pressing and longer standing problems and it isnt easy to juggle the various fixes along with your other commitments. I am not looking for a refund. The software is a great achievement and it is wrong to nit pick. I will wait for the patch if you get around to it.
Denis Le Bihan

Post by Denis Le Bihan »

Sorry for initiating this forum discussion!

I have been using DA for several years with great success. The long awaited upgrade (now DAWS) is really amazing and even more useful. There are a few bugs, OK, but I am confident they will be fixed sooner or later by Tim or others. As for GRIB data in Europe, it would be lovely to be able to decode them within DAWS, but, at least to me, it is not the highest priority.

Denis Le Bihan
meteoreservice
Tim Vasquez
Administrator

Post by Tim Vasquez »

I'll be getting the GRIB data fixed ASAP. It is one of the higher priorities.

Tim