Windows 98/DAWS problem?

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
britbob

Windows 98/DAWS problem?

Post by britbob »

I`ve spent the best part of an hour looking through various threads on here, relating to my problem.

I just download DAWS, and I`m very eager to get it running and evaluating it before buying it. Unfortunately I keep running into problems.

Installation went well, the problems begin when generating a new map. Doesn`t matter what map, it always crashes the program by throwing up a GDI.exe error. The program closes eventually. If I reboot my machine, I can generate a new map, but then after about then minutes the problem returns.

I have a Pentium III 750mhz, 256mb ram, and barely anything running on my machine, except norton AV and the essentials.

Ps. I just joined this forum, your validation emails are sending out the wrong url :)
britbob

Post by britbob »

Mmm, almost certainly a windows 98 issue. I put my spare hard drive in, which has an installation of windows 2000, DAWS worked perfectly on that.
Roy Leep

Post by Roy Leep »

Apparently DAWS has issues with W98 with map drawing and front analaysis to name a couple. I has a lot of problems with map drawing and fatal errors. You just have to keep trying different sizes..it's a pain but can be done. Another issue is coastal widths, some work some don.t.
britbob

Post by britbob »

Hey Roy,

Good timing, as I was playing around with DAWS this evening!! We have our first significant snows of the season forecast tomorrow, so I`m hoping to get some charts drawn up.

I really want to commit myself to buying this software, but a couple of problems are holding me back. First off, the fronts problem. I have tried a number of suggestions on here and all result in crappy looking frontal plots. The other is the Grib import problem, which generally creates errors due to large file sizes. A few other things. When disabling Highs and lows in preferences, after drawing up a chart they revert back to enable again.

PS. Can someone direct me to synop data for Europe? The one`s that came with DAWS appear to generate in-accurate data. I was hoping to try Fleetcode, but the url that comes with DAWS shows a 404 error.
Roy Leep

Post by Roy Leep »

I have no problem with the High - Low situation. If you don't want to use the NMC font, uncheck the box under Preferences-Analysis and be sure to check save as default, otherwise it will return to the last default setting.

Can't help you with other issues.
Stefan Lichius

Post by Stefan Lichius »

Mark Trueman

Post by Mark Trueman »

I twiddled around with the line width for the geography in the "styles preferences" and found that if I made all the widths equal to 1, then I could generate maps without problems.

Go to "File->Preferences->Styles" and change all the line widths for the geography to 1.

Regards,
Mark