Do the analysis/styles need to be simplified?

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.

They need to be simplified
7%
80%
13%

Total votes: 15

Tim Vasquez
Administrator

Post by Tim Vasquez »

Does the way that Digital Atmosphere handles analysis and style (colors) need to be simplified? Any comments on better ways to simplify these parts of the program are welcome. I am concerned that the customizable, flexible format may be difficult for intermediate/casual users.

For example I am thinking about scrapping the entire style format and making a simple color menu. If someone wants to emulate an existing workchart I can provide a "Make It Like This" dialog where users can click an existing workchart to absorb those settings.

I figure the analysis and digatmos.mnu system is pretty easy for beginners/intermediate users to deal with since all the underlying stuff is transparent.

Tim
kinetic

Post by kinetic »

I think to be able to click analysis, styles, and then pull up a color chart to choose from , would be a big improvement.
Carl Sidor

Post by Carl Sidor »

I think the system in place is just fine as is. Once I get it set up the way I wish, I seldom have need to change it. Perhaps the best way to assist the beginning/casual user would be a walk-through addition to the user manual. Sort of a hand-holding guide to making the desired changes. I think that the user manual is my most valuable resource.
Fred

Post by Fred »

It's fine for me too. Just one wish I already posted on another place on the forum.

Is it possible to make a kind of a link between styles in preferences and color scheme (maybe good idea to give them same names) in generate maps. I see two possibilities:
- add a field in peferences which style is preference. This one is always shown in all places where you use it.
- the last style chosen in preferences or generate maps is the default and is shown in all places.
This because I use different styles for maps and images.
Denis Le Bihan

analysis

Post by Denis Le Bihan »

I think the current way is just fine. I really appreciate the flexibility in scripting almost everything, which was not possible with DA 2000.

If there is anything to improve or fix is the ability to handle NEGATIVE values... and script PVA.

Denis Le Bihan
meteore78
Roy Leep

Post by Roy Leep »

Tim:

For those who don't know scripting it would be much easier to put back the automated menu as an option which the old DA had. Your product would have broader appeal to all concerned. I wrote to you about this and I thought you were going to make it an option in DAWS.

Roy
tornadoforecaster

Re: analysis options

Post by tornadoforecaster »

Tim:

I have found the analysis and style options for DAWS to be just what is needed for the program. Everything is simple and straightforward to set up and configure.

Keep up the outstanding work!

Thanks,
Randy