Fleetcode FM45-IV IAC overlay

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
Peter Benney

Fleetcode FM45-IV IAC overlay

Post by Peter Benney »

I have overlaid the Fleetcode FM45-IV IAC decode on a GeoSatsignal orthographic remapped Met7 IR image.

Results at:.......

http://www.polarorbiter.co.uk/Fleetcode.htm

Peter
rik wessels

Post by rik wessels »

Read about this in the Satsignal group as well :wink:

Now we sure would like to know a couple of things :

-settings ( both in DA and GSS)
- source for this data , it seems to me there's more fleetcodes-data here than when downloading the fleetcode with DA

In short : everything you'd be willing to tell :)

Also: does anyone know if the fleetcodes are restricted to Europe or are there other sources for other regions and would DA support this data ??
Peter Benney

Post by Peter Benney »

Settings:-
GSS:-
Met7 IR image from Dundee remapped with following settings:-
Remapping enabled
Grid 10 degs
768 x 576
Orthographic
Meridian 000 Parallel 55 Span 43
DA:-
Generate Map>
Lat 55 Long 000
Scale 3850
Imaged width 768 Height 576
Internet/Retrieve data:
Fleetcode (HB Yacht)
METAR/SYNOP/BUOY Albany worldwide.
Data: Data plot/Fleetcodes all notations

DA map overlaid on remapped IR image using Paint Shop Pro. All plotted data obtained using DA Internet/Retrieve data.

Peter
Meteo Maarssen

DA + Fleet

Post by Meteo Maarssen »

Tim/Others

I didn't had the time to check the new fleetcode into DA. It is not all hosanna. Here some results:

Some bugs in this version:
High and Lows (by loaded synopts/Metars) are not plotted in this version, eighter <suspend> is checked or unchecked from preferences or on controlpanel left-side. Isopleths have also a fixed standard dark blue color, this can't be controled by any style. Values are hard to read, I can't find any working option to control the tekst color. Options as negative or transparant do not work.

About Fleetcode:
Seems to work, good job. But there are some strange things with the styles. Only three do support fleetcodes. Other .sty files don't. It is not possible to create a new file with use of newest .sty-files. If, by example, awips.sty is loaded the extra options for fleetcode are removed while saving as other .sty-file: you can modify the original version, but not save it as new *.sty.

Fronts: Upperair fronts and weakening fronts are all plotted as normal surface-fronts. Altough it isn't a bug at all I would suggest to use at least the the upperair frontsymbols (open versions of surface frontsymbols).

It is kind of a personal view, but I think that plotting of the Fleetcodes in reverse order (all anotations) gives a slightly better result thus:
1: isobars, 2: fronts; 3: High/Low
H/L signs are sometimes overruled by fronts, and fronts and H/L by isobars.

I have checked all this double, including after uninstall and reinstall of all versions and patches available.

Thanks and cheers,

Ton Lindemann
Meteo Maarssen

DA+GSS/Groundmap

Post by Meteo Maarssen »

The is an much easier way to use your GSS dump in DA. First create a matching overlay with indentical panorama views in both programs. This a trial and error procedure. Next save a map in DA as TEST.DMF. Make a same map is GSS/Groundmap and name it TEST.BMP.

Go to the location of the saved DA - TEST.DMF file. You will see also a TEST.BMP. Replace this by the GSS/Groundmap-dump.

Now you can plot anything on your image you wish directly by DA if you open that file by TEST.DMF

Cheers;

Ton Lindemann