How do I open and plot archived radar (NIDS) files w/ DAWS?

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
Al Pietrycha

How do I open and plot archived radar (NIDS) files w/ DAWS?

Post by Al Pietrycha »

I need help plotting *archived* NIDS data in DAWS. What’s the trick to open and view zipped files from NCDC? I’ve tried to ingest and view individual zipped files and unzipped files. If the files need to be unzipped, what file extension do I append to the file for DAWS to recognize and read the data (Winzip wants a file extension)? Then, with the file(s) how do I call up say BREF1 as opposed to BREF2?

Thanks for your time and input,

--Al Pietrycha
texsky

Post by texsky »

Al,

The files I got from NCDC both had two .tar extensions at the end which caused Winzip to have problems. The key to getting it to work was changing the last .tar to .gz. Then, Winzip was able to open the files. After that, it's simply a matter of extracting the files to a folder of your choice and using Radar -> Load Radar data from file - to pick the file you want. All the BREF1 files I have, contain a N1R value in the filename which makes it easy to identify.

hth,
Bob
Al Pietrycha

Post by Al Pietrycha »

Bob,

Because of your help I was able to determine I had corrupt a file. The archived NIDS data are plotting rather well.
Thanks again, Al
texsky

Post by texsky »

Al,

Good to hear that everything is working for you now, however, I need to correct an error from my previous post which you may have already discovered. The "N1R" NIDS files are actually the 1.5° tilt or BREF2, not the 0.5° scan, which is what you asked for...the BREF1 files are those that carry the "N0R" designation.

Sorry for the error,
Bob