"Cursor city distance" problem

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
Jonathan

"Cursor city distance" problem

Post by Jonathan »

There seems to be a problem with the cities/population database. Many large cities are broken up into small neighborhoods, so, for instance, when I hold the cursor near Nashville TN (coords: (36.1730, -86.6811), population = 1.3 million) with the cursor threshold set to 50,000, the status bar informs me that the nearest city is "126 ESE Brookport," which is in southern Illinois (37.1244,-88.6229)!

When I plot all cities over 100,000 population on the map (set population threshold to 100000 in File/Preferences/Misc, and then click on Map/Add Cities), many cities are plotted in Texas Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, but none in California, Florida, New York, Massachusetts, or most of the rest of the map.

Is this desired behavior or a bug?
Jonathan

Re: "Cursor city distance" problem

Post by Jonathan »

It's a bit strange that the DA database thinks there are no cities in Tennessee with populations larger than 50,000.

Set Misc1/Threshold for plotting to 50000 and overlay cities on the synoptic US map:

There are no cities with populations larger than 50,000 in Tennessee, Colorado, Washington, Oregon, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, New Jersey.

In Massachusetts, only Springfield appears; not Boston, which is listed as having population 31,701.

Nashville TN: pop 37,101 (is it really 20% bigger than Boston???)

Seattle WA: pop 42,600