Progress of Digital Atmosphere

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
Tim Vasquez
Administrator

Progress of Digital Atmosphere

Post by Tim Vasquez »

I apologize for slacking off on news on DA -- it's been busy here with the new baby (I've been asked to watch him a lot during my key programming times). A lot of time has been spent programming; I've just been unable to report much on the progress.

It looks like we will shoot for a final release around February 5. It may not have all the planned features, but at least the beta version won't be in limbo.

How come nobody has tested the GRIB or scripting much? It's easier to make the changes now than later.

Tim
Baroclinicity

Post by Baroclinicity »

Regarding GRIB data...
I consistently get a "Range Check Error" when importing these files. Then the program appears to be busy (hour glass) but nothing else happens. I've been downloading them from ftp://ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov
Tim Vasquez
Administrator

Post by Tim Vasquez »

Thanks. Is this during the FTP transfer or during the GRIB import? I know the FTP transfer can be flaky at times. I'll check their files however and see what the problem might be. It's probably something simple.

Tim
rik wessels

Post by rik wessels »

Could the inability to import large grib-files have anything to do with this ?
Which grib-files are you trying to download /import ?

Also see this topic :

viewtopic.php?t=70
Baroclinicity

Post by Baroclinicity »

The problem occurred during the import of the GRIB file into DA. The file was around 14 megs in size. These were the "awip3d" type (40 km) from the Eta.
rik wessels

Post by rik wessels »

This could have to do with the size of the files then , beacuse the smaller grib-files do work when importing . Like I said earlier the AVN global file which is about 20 mb in size also fails to import . DA starts to import - in effect recognizing the file as a valid gribfile - but it freezes solidly hile importing it . I'm not getting an öut of range error "with that one but rather : DA simply locks up ( only escape being ctrl-alt-del and end process ) . Problem is : some of those files aren't available in smaller chunks so you're stuck with these huge 20 mb files.

In the case of the eta - data I believe the right ones are located here :
ftp://ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/ncc ... .20040205/

( changing the date at the end accordingly .)