scripting radar data crashes software

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
Al Pietrycha

scripting radar data crashes software

Post by Al Pietrycha »

I’ve running a script that generates a single image plotting the NIDS reflectivity data from four radar sites, overlaid with sfc obs. The script runs twice per hour. Since updating to version “1.1j3”, after a 5-6 h period of time has elapsed, the software either instantaneously closes on its own, OR I get a series of error windows. This systematic problem has always been present with DA2000 but prior to version “1.1J” the software usually ran 2-3 days before crashing/choking on the radar data. Memory is NOT an issue on the computer used to run DAWS.

My questions are 1) is anyone else running into the same problem and, 2) what was changed in version “1.1j3” that has aggravated the long-time running and known bug?

And Tim if you’re reading this, please bring back (or provide an option) the + instead of the current oval/circle to denote the location of sfc obs (as it used to be with DA2000). The current output is NO GOOD for plotting mobile mesonet data or any extremely large spatial resolution sfc data for formal publication use.

Thanks for your input,

-Al
wxforecaster

Post by wxforecaster »

Are you using Win 2000 and also do you get a Blue screen Error and you have to restart the computer after the error? If so, i am having the same problem you are having! After i upgraded to V1.1j3 it started to happen.

I run Suface obs, Dewpoints, winds and Radar every 10 mins! memory isnt a problem on my side! I get a Hard drive error normally!
Al Pietrycha

Post by Al Pietrycha »

I'm running DAWS with XP with a gig of Ram. Fortunately thus far, I'm not getting the 'blue screen of death'. Since I've turned off the radar overlays the software is running fine. That is until I get a 'virtual memory error'. I'm aware of the virtual memory error thread has been discussed elsewhere.

For what it’s worth, I was able to emulate my problem on two other computers. So in total, three computers ran into the same problem as I originally posted.

Thanks,
--Al
figarocat

Post by figarocat »

Yes, I've seen the same thing... DAWS will spontaneously close or generate errors after running radar scripts every 6 minutes for a few hours. I'm also running Windows XP with 1GB of RAM. On my old computer (Win98/128 MB RAM) I'd get errors due to memory filling up, so it seems there are definitely some problems with memory and running radar scripts. I haven't had any Blue Screen errors yet though.

--Jeff
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

I've not been able to duplicate your error, Al..primarily because I don't run the same scripts. There is little doubt it occurs, however..especially since you've checked it on so many different systems.

There are memory leaks which Tim is trying to deal with at the moment, or will be dealing with shortly. Perhaps this is what caused the change in the way DA WS handles your script with the latest release?

One thing I do know that has been happening in this and other releases is what Jeff talked about earlier...maps remain in memory. With large map loads and exports it doesn't take long to erode even the most robust memory. (about 2 days of running two 2000X1500 maps once an hour will consume about a gigabyte)

Pat
wxforecaster

Post by wxforecaster »

Ok that isnt the problem i am having! I really think this problem that i am having is on my end!