Error: "404 can't resolve hostname to IP address"

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
jgehrts

Error: "404 can't resolve hostname to IP address"

Post by jgehrts »

Whenever I try to get the most recent data in DA (or DA2K2, for that matter), I get the following error message:

"Internet error: 404 can't resolve hostname to IP address"

I then have to keep hitting "OK" for a bunch of of the same dialogs that have the above error message. I'm able to plot things such as isotherms, but I cannot plot fronts or overlay radar.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ben Cotton

Post by Ben Cotton »

Well, I suppose the first question would be when do you get this message? I assume during the Internet Retrieval. Try different sources for the data to see if that remedies the problem. If not, try your original sources one at a time to see if you can find where things go bad. It could be that the address for the data is incorrect.

Ben
jgehrts

Post by jgehrts »

See, I figured that it's a problem with where it's trying to take data from not existing. However, I have no idea where to get the data...
Ben Cotton

Post by Ben Cotton »

Digital Atmosphere comes with several options for most of the data types. For example, you can get surface METAR from COD, FSU, NWS, SUNY Albany, or UNCA. If you have problems accessing one site, try another one. I suggest trying your sources one at a time so you can find the ones that do and don't work.

As far as the front data goes, the problem with plotting that might be that the product header was changed from ASUS1 to ASUS01 (this has been addressed in another thread). Try getting your front files from http://www.eas.purdue.edu/~bcotton/wx/d ... ont.latest.

Looking at the radar sites, I'm having the same problem. I hopped on over to the SUNY Albany site and found the exact URL of the latest radar product. After putting that in specifically (instead of using the wildcards), the data loaded, but I still got several 404 error messages. However, the data is there and plotted. Unfortunately, having to specify the exact filename can become bothersome. Perhaps Tim could shed some extra light onto the subject?

Ben
jgehrts

Post by jgehrts »

Excellent -- thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
vawxman99

Radar data

Post by vawxman99 »

The problem with the radar data is when it is available. If you try to ask for radar data too soon after the present hour you will get the 404 error. The best way is to ask for the previous data hour (if should be about 45 minutes into the hour anyway, so it will be very close to the desired hour). Edit your script for the data retrival by changing the @ sign in front of the H to a $, this will then retrieve the previous hour's data.
jgehrts

Post by jgehrts »

The website for getting frontal data and the solution to get radar echoes both worked! I'm glad there are people who know DA inside out.