Wind Barbs

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
WxFish

Wind Barbs

Post by WxFish »

Is there any way to change the size and color of wind barbs?
wxforecaster

Post by wxforecaster »

Size... Right now there is NO way. Color.. i dont know about that for sure but i think no. "Think"!
rmaan

Station plot clours?

Post by rmaan »

Umm could you not change the station plot colours? That would change the clour of the barb near the station but I don't think you can change the clour of the actual wind barbs :( Not YET as least ;)
Weasel

Re: Wind Barbs

Post by Weasel »

Actually you can change both the size and the colour of the wind barb. The only "problem" is you have to use the NMC/NCEP font type to make it work. So once you have this font type set (located under file, font mode), go to file; preferences; styles, set the font size and color for station plots, click save changes.

The color and font settings will only apply to the wind barb (making it blue, purple etc with barb size determined by font setting); the other portion of the station plot will be black.

Pat

P.S. Dave Exton and me were talking about something similar a while back and either me or him happened to notice the barb was independent of the NMC/NCEP font.

Edit: If you were wondering about changing the size and colour of the barbs using analysis, wind speed - barbs, only the colour can be changed. This is accomplished by editing the barb entry in the digatmos.mnu file with notepad.

The deafault will look something like this:
Wind speed (barbs) (kt) |BKNT COLOR=0:0:200 WIND
Dave Exton

Post by Dave Exton »

Hi there,

Just to echo Pat's comment, it's relatively easy to change size and colour of the barb using the NMC/NCEP font. Problem is that the rest of the plot looks a bit big, making the overall plotted chart look a bit messy unless you limit the amount of plots on your chart.

It would be nice if we could control that! Still, there are definately posibilities if you play arround.

Incidently Pat, It was you that sussed how to make the adjustment,

I can't take any credit for that!

Regards,
Dave Exton.
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

I couldn't remember if it was me or you that noticed it, Dave :)

In any event now we all know :)

Pat
WxFish

Post by WxFish »

Thanks for all the information. I figured out the NMC/NCEP solution before my post. I was wondering about the "Analysis - wind speed barbs" size.

I would like to say, this was my first post and I am really impressed with the speed and quality of the posts. Thanks everybody for you willingness to share. :D