Case Study Analysis Settings

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
LocoAko

Case Study Analysis Settings

Post by LocoAko »

Hello everyone. =)

I am doing a case study of the 4/2/06 severe weather outbreak. I am importing old surface data from METAR reports.

I want all the detail I can get without it looking grainy, or ridden with errors. I'm doing it on the entire Midwest, so I figured "Nearest Neighbor" is the best way to go.

I HAD it on Nearest Neighbor, 0.35, and 2 smoothing passes which looked good but in the wind barb data it was overly smoothed. I went down to I believe 1 smoothing pass and 0.25 and the winds looked great but the pressure contours looked funky. I'd rather not have to change them in between each map but it wouldn't be that big of a deal - still, I want to know what you guys suggest for maximum clarify and detail in each map.

0.35, 2 smoothing passes:

0.25, 1 smoothing pass (much better but the pressure looks funky)

Any adivce would be greatly appreciated. i'm making 3 maps for each hour - 1 surcace obs, one with temperature (F) and DP (F) every 2 degrees, and a third with wind barbs and MSLP. Thanks!!! These settings can get kind of confusing..
rmaan

Hi

Post by rmaan »

Hey,

Personally I think the 0.35, 2 smoothing passes looks much better than the second screenshot you posted. 0.35 with 2 smoothing passes should be fine, it looks great! Besides if you are printing it out it may look better on paper as well.

Arman