The Weather Forecasting Forum

Discussions about the latest in meteorology, programs, tools, and techniques
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Meteorology career paths
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:46 am 

Hello all,

This is my first post on this board. FWIW, I purchased The Weather Forecasting Handbook and enjoyed reading it. :)

Anyway, I am a meteorology major and my attention for many years has been to work in television. I've interned at a tv station, made a resume tape, gotten a fair amount of experience on their graphics system (Weather Central), and in general gotten a good idea of what it's like to work in that field. I enjoyed it immensely and certainly plan on searching high and low to find a position when I graduate.

However, at the same time I also am interested in other areas of meteorology, such as aviation meteorology (forecasting for an airline or at an airport) and/or weather observer positions Can anyone share some info on these particular areas? How would one go about searching for a position as a weather observer and how would one become qualified for such a position? What type of pay can one expect starting off as a weather observer? The same goes for aviation weather positions. What are employers in that area looking for in an applicant for a weather position opening? How difficult is it to get a position as a weather observer or working for an airline?

Obviously I have lots of questions, lol. :) Any info that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:01 pm 

You may want to look into the military. I'm a TV guy who is also in the Air National Guard and I know weather has been considered a "stressed" profession in the Air Force for several years. They are especially hurting when it comes to men/women with degrees (BS or better) for the officer slots. Just something to consider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:42 pm 

I can second that. Here at Purdue, the Air Force is heavily recruiting met students into the ROTC program. Several of my friends have joined.