WinGridds: Only seeing Zero-hour data

Discuss any other weather software not covered above, including data feeds, weather web pages, and more!
rjmwx81

WinGridds: Only seeing Zero-hour data

Post by rjmwx81 »

Hopefully you can help me out here. I'm downloading the GRIB files correctly (at least I think I am), going through the menu interface:

1. Download Grib Files --> Regular Grib
2. I choose my model run and resolution (Usually the 81 km NAM)
3. I then process using Convert Non-WAFS Grib Data --> Convert Regular Grib data.

The program will display most products, but only for forecast hour 0. When I go to the specs menu, it shows 0 as the only available forecast hour. This has happened on several different model runs, using different spatial resolutions. Any ideas why I can't get the complete data?
ncwxman

Post by ncwxman »

Hi,

I just tried to download the 81 km NAM using the Grib download utility in WINGRIDDS and the files came up empty. I have yet to figure out why. I selected the following from the list in the grib download utility:
NWSTG Server 1 - NAM, NMD2002 00Z NAM Grid 211 81km 0-84/6 Hour Step

The files do download correctly when I use a ftp program. So I suspect that there is a problem with the grib download utility??

Kevin
jkrob

Post by jkrob »

All,

The GRIB Download utility within WINGRIDDS does have some... inconsistantcies (SP?). I use the same scripting commands for all the file downloads but some work & some don't & I can not find any ryme or reason. I do see that the NCEP FTP download are more querky than the NWS FTP downloads.

Even though, while the script is running, you see the file names being displayed, it is no guarantee the complete file is there & it may be 0 size.

You, the user, are free to troubleshoot and play with/modify/debug the script files to see if you can get more reliability with them. If you do find any bugs, please foreward them to me (and this group) so I can update the files which get included in the distribution.

This utility *is* new & subject to change. I was hoping it would be simple & "elegant" but it seems to be more simple & flaky and the URL2FILE utility has not been updated in a while. The FTP Client from Microsoft is no way simple but may be more reliable. If anyone knows of another command-line FTP client for Windows, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff Krob
WINGRIDDS/PCGRIDDS32 System Developer
ncwxman

Post by ncwxman »

All,

I believe I have discovered what is causing the problems with the grib downloads within WINGRIDDS. And it's because of a capital "Z".

Example from the NMB1124.DAT file:

ftp://ftp.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/nccf/c ... %3/nam.t%4Z.awip3d03.tm00 nam.t%4Z.awip3d03.tm00

If you put a lower case z in there it works just fine.

ftp://ftp.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/nccf/c ... p3d03.tm00 nam.t%4Z.awip3d03.tm00

Regards,

Kevin