GRIB2PARM

Discuss any other weather software not covered above, including data feeds, weather web pages, and more!
ncwxman

GRIB2PARM

Post by ncwxman »

Jeff,

I have looked at both the WINGRIDDS & PCGRIDDS32 User's Guides and to this point I have not found any info about the GRIB2PARM.dat file. What I would like to know is what the info in the various columns represent.

Example:

Code: Select all

000 001 008 TPCP 0000  -3 Total PreCiPitation (m converted to cm in PCGRIDDS)
The reason I ask is that I'm having trouble with the SREF short range ensemble grib files not converting correctly when run through NGRB2PCG32 and I am trying to find a way to get it to work.

Most of the the data is not making it into the newly created GRIDDATA file.

What I'm most interested in is the ensemble probability files. When I run one of the SREF probability grib files through WGRIB I get the following inventory:

Image is just a snapshot of the total inventory.

Here is what is left for the 24 hour forecast after running the same grib file through NGRB2PCG32:

Code: Select all

*DATA AT FORECAST HOUR  24 IN FILE => c:\WINGRIDDS\GRIDDATA\OCT140603.SFMEWHL0
 PROB  2M PROB 850 PROB SFC PROBM015 PROBB015 PROBHLCY PRO3 SFC PRO6 SFC
 PROB 10M
 *DATA AT FORECAST HOUR  24 IN FILE => c:\WINGRIDDS\GRIDDATA\OCT140603.SFMEWHL0
What happened to all my probabilities? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Data Source: ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/nccf/com/sref/prod/sref.20061028/sref.t03z.pgrb212.prob
Of course, the date will change daily.

Thank you,

Kevin
jkrob

Post by jkrob »

Kevin,

Sorry for that 'red herring'. The file GRIB2PARM.DAT should actually be read as GRIB2 PARM.dat--- That shows how the parameters are represented within the GRIB2 data format. Within NGRB2PCG32 GRIB2 processing, the GRIB2 parameters are converted to GRIB1 format & NGRB2PCG32 (as well as all the other GRIB ingest utilities) use the GRIBPARM.DAT file to put a four-letter parameter where all the numbers are. Feel free to delete the GRIB2PARAM.DAT file.

As for your ingest problem, I'd have to see the full NGRB2PCG32.OUT file to see how those particular GRIB messages are being processed.

Thanks,
Jeff