SAVE Comand

Discuss any other weather software not covered above, including data feeds, weather web pages, and more!
Ian

SAVE Comand

Post by Ian »

Having trouble locating in the save comand, and how it works.

I think its SAVS plus name of file, but where does it send it to ?

and do you have to put either png or gif etc after it

Ian
jkrob

Post by jkrob »

Ian,

Do a search in the WINGRIDDS Users Guide to find all of the references. The file type is set with the entry within the WINGMODE.DAT file.

Thanks,
Jeff
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi Jeff,

I done that, but does not appear to be working !

Ian
britbob

Post by britbob »

It should work Ian. By default the WINGMODE.DAT file will be set to use bitmap. Just change it to png, also you can change the path to whatever folder you wish for your charts in that same file.
jkrob

Post by jkrob »

Ian,

So...you are saying, presuming the entry on the WINGMODE.DAT file says '.PNG', you create a display of data then enter 'SAVS TEST', there will not be a file TEST.PNG in the WINGRIDDS\PRTFIL directory? Is ther anything in the PRTFIL directory...presuming that is the directory you have entered in the WINGMODE.DAT file?

Jeff
Ian

Post by Ian »

HI Jeff,

managed to sort out SAVS thanks, RTFM comes to mind lol

with regards to 4 char saving limit, i plan to generate alot of files to upload to my website.

naming all of these using just 4 char, is i think maybe impossible.

The plan is;
char 1 = model run
char 2 = level
char 3 = forecast hr
char 4 = data, ie pressure temp etc,,

The forecast hr is where the trouble starts, as i only have 36 char to use
ie, 0-9 and A-Z

Is it possible to increase the length of the SAVS file ?

Also,
I must give you credit, after a bad start using this program i am now finding that it is quite simple and more user friendly than i thought given the user more options to modify the program to suit there needs.

Great work Jeff.

P.S
once to have sorted all my command scripts out, i will need to run it all in auto from my off line server, i have not read up on this yet, but iam guessing this is possible to download and run scripts 4 times a day for the 4 models outputs ie ,00z 06z 12z and 18z ?

And one last thing what times are the above models available ?

regards

ian
jkrob

Post by jkrob »

Ian,

I'm glad you have things going. I am trying to get the first release of WINGRIDDS out by Dec. 1, 2006 & at this late date, I do not have enough time to go in & do the extensive code changes to support longer file names for the SAVS command. I'll put it on the list for the next release. For now, you are stuck with the 4 alphanumeric spaces to create the file names. But, hey, that gives you 1,679,616 combinations ;-).

As for times model data is available, please refer to the following link:

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/prodstat/

Thanks,
Jeff