New WRF and NAM grids

Discuss any other weather software not covered above, including data feeds, weather web pages, and more!
ncwxman

New WRF and NAM grids

Post by ncwxman »

Jeff,

Where can I find the grib files for the new WRF and NAM grids you mentioned in the release notes? I really would like to try them out.

Thank you,

Kevin
jkrob

Post by jkrob »

Kevin,

The WRF model GRIB files can be found on tgftp.nws.noaa.gov at:
/SL.us008001/ST.opnt/MT.wrf_MR.nmm_CY.18

The NAM files can be found on tgftp.nws.noaa.gov at:
/SL.us008001/ST.opnt/MT.nam_CY.00

and on ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov at
/pub/data/nccf/com/nam

Jeff
ncwxman

Post by ncwxman »

Jeff,

Thank you for the links however it appears that these files are for Puerto Rico. Are there any files that are for the eastern US only? I have found files for the eastern US (ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/emc/mmb/mmbpll/east08.t18z) but these are rather large in size (about 22mb). Are there any tiles for WRF/NMM like for the NAM (http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/resear ... s.218.html)?

Kevin
jkrob

Post by jkrob »

Kevin,

That is right. The entire grid domain is close to the ETA but the grid resolution is quite small. To make the files more manageable (sp?), they breake them down into subsectors. You have to dig around to find what you want...just like I did ;-)

BEWARE - Some of the subgrids have a problem where the scalar data is not a smooth contour down the gradient but has a terraced (stair-step) effect. It's not my problem and there is nothing I can do about it. It is a bug in NCEPS's grid Interpolation routine. One of these days, once things with PCGRIDDS32 settles down a bit (HA!!), I'll look at their interpolation routines to find & correct the bug & submit it to them. Or...you could complain to the folks at NCEP's EMC. PCGRIDDS32 plots what it see's and can't correct for bad data.

Jeff
meteotony

Post by meteotony »

Hi!
I´m a forecaster in Argentina, and a user of old PCGRIDDS.
I´m begining to use a PCGRIDDS32, and I´d like to know if there are WRF files available for South America.
Thanks
Tony.-
jkrob

Post by jkrob »

Toni,

Welcome!! As far as I know, the only model coverage for South America are the WAFS grids or the whole global GFS grids. There are ECMWF and UKMET grids but they have very limited parameters and forecast hours, especially ECMWF. Unless someone down there is running a WS-ETA model which covers your area, you are stuck with the GFS grids. The WRF coverage is mainly over North America.

Once again, welcome and feel free to ask any question.

Jeff Krob
PCGRIDDS32 System Developer