Analysis software?

Discuss any other weather software not covered above, including data feeds, weather web pages, and more!
rmaan

Analysis software?

Post by rmaan »

Hi all!

I've been using DA for a couple of months now and I think it would be an understatment to say that it is the BEST available piece of software ever!! The thing is I haven't been able to find any other software similar to DA (apart from software from METLAB - which doesnt have any pricing info!). Does anyone know any software similar to DA/analysis software. If so, I'd really appreciate it if you could give me the name(s) of any available software (freeware or commercial).

Any help is appareciated,

thanks in advance

Arman
MET-ME
wxforecaster

Post by wxforecaster »

There is GEMPAK which is free and what the NWS/NOAA uses. You must have linux!

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/

I got lost in setting it up because i dont know how to use Linux so i just bought DAWS. Problem is, still no GRIB support for Scriptting which GEMPAK has!
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

I think there is an American fellow that will install GEMPAK on a computer if you send it to him. God knows what the shipping charge would be to the UAE...

Would probably be cheaper to buy another copy of DA WS if one is looking to run analysis software on two computers.

One last thing, for those who have never noticed, pcgridds has a home on this forum as well....You don't even have to learn UNIX anymore.
rmaan

Post by rmaan »

Thanks all, the help is greatly appreciated!

If anyone has any more info, i'd be delighted to hear it!

Thanks again ;)
wxforecaster

Post by wxforecaster »

His name is Rob Dale. He is in MI.

http://sky.radioweather.us/gempak.html

Good guy.

However the big advantages DAWS has over Gempak is that it is windows base and really easy to learn!
rmaan

Post by rmaan »

Thanks again, shame GEMPAK is only available on linux. I checked the earlier link in the previous post. On their main download page they provide links to many downloads, are you sure that none of the GEMPAK installations can be used with windows?

If not, then I know it's possible to run a linux system and a windows system simultaneously on the same pc (similar to that mac program that runs windows on the mac). Would GEMPAK run under such a setup?

Thanks again,
wxforecaster

Post by wxforecaster »

I am pretty sure it would work. Just as long if you are running LINUX at all time. YOu can also use it under windows if you install an X-Server (i think that is what it is call) which is like a Windows version for Linux.

I know if you go here:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/

You can E-mail them all your questions and they will e-mail you back within a day or so. They are VERY VERY good at that!
britbob

Post by britbob »

I recently installed Gempak on my machine. My PC was primarily a windows 2000 machine, but because I wanted to play with Gempak I got myself a third hard drive and installed Mandrake 10.1. Effectively I have a dual boot machine - the best of both worlds.

Oh, and I know next to nothing about linux but at least this way I can learn. Beware, Gempak can test the patience of a saint during the installation. It took me over a week just to get any of the GUI`s to work!!

There`s something linux users called dependancy hell, and with Gempak I found out all about that!!

Surprisingly I found GrADS a lot easier to install, however the learning curve is way steeper. Just some basic scripting blew steam from my ears :?