Newbie questions!

Discuss any other weather software not covered above, including data feeds, weather web pages, and more!
domino

Newbie questions!

Post by domino »

I`ve been trying to learn the art of working GrADS, but unfortunately it`s a little beyond my skill at the moment!!

I`m just wondering whether PCGRIDDS32 is what I`m looking for?

I have a windows 2000 based PC, fairly modern and powerful. I`m looking for standalone software than can ingest grib datasets (GFS, ETA, RUC, CMC) and plot the usual model charts (850mb temps, 500mb heights, slp), then export them as png or gif.

The more automated this process can be the better. Does this software have a scheduluer of any kind and FTP capabilities, or failing that is there any third pary software that could tie in and do this?

I simply want to put a few charts on my site, but can`t be at my PC 24/7. So the automation side is quite important.

Thanks.
jkrob

Post by jkrob »

Domino,

What PCGRIDDS32 can and can't to...

CAN:
PCGRIDDS32 can plot plot most anything you may want in reguards to model data. There are over 1600 pre-defined command macros to build displays and the maco command language is fairly simple to create anything else which may not be already predefined and you can use the macros already there at templates for what you may want to do.

PCGRIDDS32 GRIB data conversion and display generation can run automated through schedualed batch files.

PCGRIDDS32 can save screen shots to any directory you wish but they are only in BMP format. A full Windows GUI version is in development and it should have a broader graphics file format selection but that is still a year or so off.

CAN'T:
PCGRIDDS32 can't do any GRIB file downloads. Since the NWS changed the directory structure of their FTP servers and the new day GRIB files are stored in separate directories, I have not been able to construct a download process to accomidate that. There may be a third-party program to do that or even a batch file way but I am not aware of it.

Hey, since PCGRIDDS32 is free, download it, try it and see if it is what you want. There is no obligation.

Good luck,
Jeff Krob
PCGRIDDS2 System Developer.
domino

Post by domino »

Thankyou.

I`ve just downloaded it, and running the install.

Just a couple of newbie questions....

All the grib datasets in the various directories. What should I be downloading, because they have so many different extensions.

What I downloaded should be placed in the nws folder? then converted to pcgridd formats by using Ngrb2pcg32 ??
jkrob

Post by jkrob »

>Thankyou.
>
>I`ve just downloaded it, and running the install.

Good!!

>
>Just a couple of newbie questions....
>

OK

>All the grib datasets in the various directories. What should I be >downloading, because they have so many different extensions.
>

As was posted in another thread, the NWS SOO/STRC Web site has a great summary of the GRIB files & what is included in them. You can pick-and-choose what you want. The address is:

http://strc.comet.ucar.edu/gribmaster/modeldatasets.htm

Maybe I need to include that Web siye on the PCGRIDDS32 Home Page for reference.

>
>What I downloaded should be placed in the nws folder? then converted to >pcgridd formats by using Ngrb2pcg32 ??
>

As long as you are not downoading WAFS GRIB files, yes, you are correct. Once the files are converted to PCG format, you can delete the GRIB files.

Good luck,

Jeff Krob
PCGRIDDS32 System Developer