DGEX

Discuss any other weather software not covered above, including data feeds, weather web pages, and more!
andyg

DGEX

Post by andyg »

Jeff or anyone,

Two questions:

1) Are there GRIB files available for the DGEX model?

2) If the answer to the above is yes, can PCG32 ingest them?

Thanks
ncwxman

Post by ncwxman »

Andy,

Yes.

ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/nccf/com/nawips/prod/

DGEX is in Grib2 format. Currently, PCGRIDDS32 can only work with Grib1. Jeff is working on getting PCGRIDDS32 to work with Grib2 because the National Weather Service will be changing all of their forecast models to Grib2 very soon. So, it shouldn't be long before we'll be able to work with the DGEX and other models that are currently in grib2 format.

Kevin

P. S. : Jeff, please correct me on anything I might have stated incorrectly above. Thank you in advance.
jkrob

Post by jkrob »

Kevin,

No problem. By & large, you are correct. However, with that FTP link, I don't think the files within the NAWIPS directory are in GRIB format but in GEMPAK format.

I have not really looked for DGEX files & I'm not sure exactly what the DGEX model is but I have seen it referenced a time or two in the model discussions. There may be some GRIB files hidden in a FTP subdirectory some place. Feel free to search it out but I don't think those files in the NAWIPS directory will work.

The beta release for the GRIB2 capable NGRB2PCG32 will be out shortly. I have found a few other GRIB2 files I want to test it with first. This release will also be able to handle Ensemble GRIB files.

Thanks & good hunting,
Jeff Krob
PCGRIDDS32 System Developer
ncwxman

Post by ncwxman »

Jeff,

I had my doubts about those file. Darn! I guess it was just wishful thinking on my part.

The news of the new NGRB2PCG32 being able to work with Ensemble models is a great addition. Keep up the awesome work!

Thank you for you reply and I eagerly await the Beta release of NGRB2PCG32 that supports Grib2 & Ensembles.

Kevin