GFS Display Issues

Discuss any other weather software not covered above, including data feeds, weather web pages, and more!
Craig Setzer

GFS Display Issues

Post by Craig Setzer »

Hi,

I've been using PCG32 with great success until recently when the GFS GRIB files won't display. I get a blank map when trying to display any field. I only have this problem with the GRIB types AVN.002 and AVN.003 but I don't have problems displaying AVN.211 or fields from any other GRIB file.

I can't believe I'm the only one having this problem making me wonder if one of my .DAT files has changed. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Craig
jkrob

Post by jkrob »

Craig,

Can you please be more specific...when did this problem start? Was it with this last release?...the last beta releases?...when?

Thanks,
Jeff
Craig Setzer

Post by Craig Setzer »

Jeff,

Sorry I wasn't more verbose. I didn't know if anyone else might just perk up and say "here's the fix". I thought since I've been mostly downloading just the updated executables, I'd start from scratch with a new complete zip of 3.2. But that hasn't fixed the problem. It seems the GFS 1.0 and 2.5 degree GRIB files (e.g., fh.0048_tl.press_gr.2p5deg from ftp://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/SL.us008001/ST ... id_DF.gr1/) are displaying data well off the map. The other models as well as the GFS 3 hourly surface field GRIB files display correctly.

I will email you an image of the PCG32 screen but it looks as if 0N, 0E is 180 degrees north and east of the map's 0N, 0E. I found the data fields after zooming way out (MAP 90, 0, 180). The grid point info looks correct, just WAY off the map.

Craig
Craig Setzer

Solved, kind of...

Post by Craig Setzer »

Well, the number of people who have viewed this post and not responded points to the problem being with me alone. So I put PCG32 on another computer and it works, so I have a solution, but not an answer as to why it stopped working on my primary computer. But at least I've got it running.

Craig