POVIM Presentation Manager

Discuss any other weather software not covered above, including data feeds, weather web pages, and more!
Fred

POVIM Presentation Manager

Post by Fred »

The activities around weather and weather satellites consist of many different and often separate and independent programs. This often results in a messy system where it’s difficult to find files and automate processes.

POVIM is developed to provide a structured and integrated environment. POVIM stands for Product Oriented Video, Images and Maps.

The first part of POVIM is to structure the whole process. This is done by defining a structured environment, structured names and structured procedures. After this the whole process can run fully automatically. With such an environment it is easy to add new programs and procedures without disturbing the whole process. Articles in GEO Quarterly and “De Kunstmaan” describe this process.

After structuring the system it is time for the next step.

POVIM Presentation Manager.
POVIM PM integrates all the separate programs. POVIM PM consists of 2 parts: the Product Manager and the Presentation Manager and offers the following possibilities:
Product Manager
- create your own products and where they are stored
- structure products into maximal 3 levels
- every level can be defined to your own choice
- combine same type of products into groups e.g. Oceans, Hurricanes, Europe etc.
- a product can be a group, generated (there is already an image) or to-generate (make the image during presenting)
- make files with basic information
- define all the programs you use for weather satellites and weather watching.

Presentation Manager
- selecting up to 20 products from a list of products
- present them in thumbnails
- synchronized scrolling in steps of 5, 15 and 60 minutes
- call your favourite photo viewer to see the images on full screen
- use all the options of your photo viewer like zoom, scroll and print
- choose a different date and time
- display generated images or generate the image “on the flow”
- present details for every image (if in the database)
- display the latest received image in case it does not has a periodicity of 15 minutes
- display images (jpg, bmp) video (avi, mpeg) and maps(jpg, bmp) from e.g. Digital Atmosphere
- start satellite- or weather program or go to a specific internet site.
- directly start the photo viewer to see the content of all the folders in thumbnails (depending on the options your viewer provides)

For who is this program meant? POVIM PM is useful for everybody using programs for generating images from weather satellites or weather programs and wants to maintain and view them in an easy and structured way.

During the GEO symposium 2005 and a meeting of the Dutch “Werkgroep Kunstmanen” I gave a presentation of a prototype of the program. Since then I changed a lot.
You want to try it? You can find a beta-version of my program on my site:

http://www.vandenbosch.speedlinq.nl/downloads.html

After installing I suggest you first read the ReadMeFirst file in the install folder.

Greetings

Fred