Scripting problems!!

Strictly for sharing scripts used in Digital Atmosphere and getting assistance from other users.
Fred

Scripting problems!!

Post by Fred »

Tim

Looking to my own experiences and from others like Guest and others it is clear to me that the scripting-language is not fullproof. Commands don’t do what you expect, based on the name and the description. It looks like gambling: add 1+1 and the result is hopefully somewhere between 1 and 3. This makes that the results of a script are uncertain and unpredictable (just like the Dutch weather).

Personally I have taken the decision to stop with writing scripts until the results are clear and verifiable. Now it cost too much time and gives too much frustration!

In my opinion this should get top-priority in the list of changes. This also because in the menu’s the same commands are used.

Greetings

Fred

Post by Guest »

Which analysis commands from the menu aren't performing well?
Fred

Post by Fred »

I meant it in general. At the moment I don't know which commands are correct and which are not. And the commands are used both in menu's and scripts. So therefor it's a good idea to give this point (testing all the commands) a top-priority.

It's also a good idea to present a possibility to check the results in a numeric way: not only by plotting but give the original and calculated values in for instance a pop-up screen. Indeed, a kind of debug-mode. This will make testing of a complex script much easier. You can see the input and output of a command.

Greetings

Fred
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

If an analysis looks a little odd I like to look at what may be wrong with the data first. If I don't find any troubles with that, I compare the analysis in both versions of Digital Atmosphere. To be honest they produce almost exactly the same results every time I've had a reason to check.

There may be a few problems with the script commands, here and there, but I think those included in the menu choices function rather well. I'm sure they were checked before the final release.

Regards,

Patrick