Starting Scheduler when program startsup

Strictly for sharing scripts used in Digital Atmosphere and getting assistance from other users.
nigel.heasman

Starting Scheduler when program startsup

Post by nigel.heasman »

Hi again!
As a very new boy to using scripting in Digital Atmosphere, my next "problem" is that, when Digital Atmosphere starts up, the Scheduler is always OFF, even though it was ON when I last closed the program down. Is there any way of setting this to always be ON, or is there a command line word I can use when starting the program?
I can see that it is possible to run a script when starting it up but I cannot see how to turn the Scheduler on from within a script.
The other, (maybe connected?), thing I do not understand is the TIMERON script command. What exactly does it do?? The manual says "TIMERON enables the script timer. It will adhere to the current timer script schedule" Could some kind person explain that one to me, please??
many thanks for the help
Nigel
packman

Post by packman »

TIMERON is the command to start the scheduler. So run a script containing this from the command line to leave DAWS with the scheduler running.

I used to do this, but there was something odd happening (probably user error) that left DAWS using more and more memory the longer it was left to run. I started to do a shutdown/restart every night to cure that, but I now let Windows do the scheduling and just run up DAWS, plot the charts I want and then shut itself down. That works well and doesn't leave DAWS in memory all the time.
nigel.heasman

Post by nigel.heasman »

Hi Chris,
many thanks for that explanation - sounds like a good plan.
Sorry about the delay in replying but we have been having quite long power cuts and loss of internet connection!
I haven't yet used Windows for running shceduled events but have heard about it. I can see how to RUN a program, using it, but how do you tell it to shutdown when the jobs are done?
Would you mind sending me some more detail?
Greatly appreciate the help
Nigel
packman

Post by packman »

Hi Nigel

I'm running XP Pro, so I'm not sure if XP Home or earlier versions of Windows have the scheduler built in. Look for Scheduled Tasks in Control Panel. If it's there, you can set a task up something like...

RUN: C:\PROGRA~1\DIGITA~1\digatmos.exe C:\Progra~1\Digita~1\myscript.dsf

START IN: C:\PROGRA~1\DIGITA~1

RUN AS: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

The scheduler seems to like paths and files without spaces, so that's it looks a bit weird. This assumes that your DAWS is installed in C:\Program Files\DigitalAtmosphereWS.

Choose the schedule of every 'x' hour or whatever you want

To shut DAWS down when a script is finished use the QUIT command.
nigel.heasman

Post by nigel.heasman »

Hi Chris,
many thanks for the help. Have tried it out and it works just fine.
I had forgotten about putting the QUIT command at the end of the script!!
regards
Nigel