Re: radar animation using DA WS

Strictly for sharing scripts used in Digital Atmosphere and getting assistance from other users.
tornadoforecaster

Re: radar animation using DA WS

Post by tornadoforecaster »

I believe I had some difficulty earlier last year over this problem, and while I did get help, now it's not working for me as it was. I need to get this up and running for the severe weather season start in April.

Please contact me offlist at "forecaster@charter.net"

Randy
Hendricusl

Post by Hendricusl »

When you get it figured out I would be interested in seeing the script...if you would post it here it would help.

Thanks!
Jon Wright

Post by Jon Wright »

I removed the trailing blanks and it works fine.
tornadoforecaster

Okay, here is the script, without the "blanks" in it. The problem is that the maps it should be using are not being used. Instead, the grey outlines of states without counties are being used.

load,C:\Program Files\DigitalAtmosphereWS\radarloop\Stevens Point\arx100base.dmf
RADAR,BREF2,ARX GRB MPX
stamp
export,C:\Program Files\DigitalAtmosphereWS\radarloop\Stevens Point\baseradararx100.gif
load,C:\Program Files\DigitalAtmosphereWS\radarloop\Stevens Point\grb100base.dmf
RADARPLOT
stamp
export,C:\Program Files\DigitalAtmosphereWS\radarloop\Stevens Point\baseradargrb100.gif
load,C:\Program Files\DigitalAtmosphereWS\radarloop\Stevens Point\regionalbase.dmf
RADARPLOT
stamp
export,C:\Program Files\DigitalAtmosphereWS\radarloop\Stevens Point\baseradarregional.gif
SPAWN,C:\Program Files\DigitalAtmosphereWS\radarloop\Stevens Point\arx100.bat,,1
SPAWN,C:\Program Files\DigitalAtmosphereWS\radarloop\Stevens Point\grb100.bat,,1
SPAWN,C:\Program Files\DigitalAtmosphereWS\radarloop\Stevens Point\regional100.bat,,1
load,C:\Program Files\DigitalAtmosphereWS\radarloop\Stevens Point\arx100base.dmf
RADAR,BVEL2,ARX GRB MPX
stamp
export,C:\Program Files\DigitalAtmosphereWS\radarloop\Stevens Point\basevelarx100.gif
load,C:\Program Files\DigitalAtmosphereWS\radarloop\Stevens Point\grb100base.dmf
RADARPLOT
stamp
export,C:\Program Files\DigitalAtmosphereWS\radarloop\Stevens Point\basevelgrb100.gif
load,C:\Program Files\DigitalAtmosphereWS\radarloop\Stevens Point\regionalbase.dmf
RADARPLOT
stamp
export,C:\Program Files\DigitalAtmosphereWS\radarloop\Stevens Point\basevelregional.gif
SPAWN,C:\Program Files\DigitalAtmosphereWS\radarloop\Stevens Point\arxvel100.bat,,1
SPAWN,C:\Program Files\DigitalAtmosphereWS\radarloop\Stevens Point\grbvel100.bat,,1
SPAWN,C:\Program Files\DigitalAtmosphereWS\radarloop\Stevens Point\regionalvel100.bat,,1
RADAR,OHP,ARX GRB MPX
stamp
export,C:\Program Files\DigitalAtmosphereWS\radarloop\Stevens Point\basepreciparx100.gif
RADARPLOT
stamp
export,C:\Program Files\DigitalAtmosphereWS\radarloop\Stevens Point\baseprecipgrb100.gif
RADARPLOT
stamp
export,C:\Program Files\DigitalAtmosphereWS\radarloop\Stevens Point\baseprecipregional.gif
SPAWN,C:\Program Files\DigitalAtmosphereWS\radarloop\Stevens Point\arxprecip100.bat,,1
SPAWN,C:\Program Files\DigitalAtmosphereWS\radarloop\Stevens Point\grbprecip100.bat,,1
SPAWN,C:\Program Files\DigitalAtmosphereWS\radarloop\Stevens Point\regionalprecip100.bat,,1
timeron

I need it to use maps with county outlines as well as cities plotted as well.
Any thoughts?

Randy
tornadoforecaster

Here is the script, any takers?

Randy
Les

Post by Les »

Randy,

Without the .bat files, there's not much anybody can do with your script.

Are they available for download anywhere?

Les
tornadoforecaster

Les,

I think I have them on my hard drive yet. Do you need them? If so, then write me off list and I'll send them to you.

forecaster@charter.net

Randy
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

Les wrote:Without the .bat files, there's not much anybody can do with your script.

Are they available for download anywhere?

Les
Les, Tim Vasquez posted this a while back. It explains the batch file and what else you will need for it to work properly.

Pat

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Digital Atmosphere does not have an animator built in yet, but you can do it in an automated manner like this.

Write a batch file in MS-DOS containing these commands.
Code:

composite -compose xor -dissolve 50 basemap.gif baseradar.gif gif:radar.gif
copy frame1.gif frame0.gif
copy frame2.gif frame1.gif
copy frame3.gif frame2.gif
copy radar.gif frame3.gif
convert -delay 50 frame0.gif -delay 50 frame1.gif -delay 50 frame2.gif -delay 200 frame3.gif -loop 0 radarloop.gif

(be careful, there should be only six lines above]http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php[/url]

But lucky for you, I've thinned out the mess of distributables to just a dozen key files, which you can get at:
http://www.weathergraphics.com/dl/convert.zip
Unzip these to the SAME directory where you will be running the batch file (or put in their own directory and change the Windows path in your system setup to point to that directory).

The ImageMagick library is quite powerful, and there's no limit to what it can do with a good batch file. With the radar upload hack I posted earlier, you can put animated radar on your server quite easily... running your own Weathertap site.

Tim
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

This is the radar upload hack Tim mentioned in the above

Pat

--------------------------------------------------------------------

A few days ago we were posting hourly maps, compositing US and Mexican radar looking like this:
http://www.weathergraphics.com/images/emily2007.gif

Here's how it was done:

A script file with these contents was executed in the Digital Atmosphere schedule hourly:
Code:

BLANK
ERASE
IMPORTRADAR
ERASE
RADAR,br248,bro hgx dfx epz
DOWNLOAD
HURRICANE
HURRMODEL,2
PRODUCT,plf,0,Wind and SST
EXPORT,c:\st\special\weathermap.gif
EXPORT,c:\st\special\emily@HHZ@MMZ.gif