GFDL Model on PCGRIDDS32???

Discuss any other weather software not covered above, including data feeds, weather web pages, and more!
Craig Setzer

GFDL Model on PCGRIDDS32???

Post by Craig Setzer »

Jeff,
When I try to NGRB2PCG32 the grib files for the GFDL, I get

****ERROR UNKNOWN MODEL TYPE # 70 in the output.

Is there a modification I need to make to MAPTYPE.DAT or one of the other files?

Thanks in advance,

Craig
Greg Fishel

GFDL in PCGRIDDS

Post by Greg Fishel »

Craig,

Try modifying the gribmodl.dat file in the grib directory. Just add model type 70 to the end of the list, and call it something like GFD. I just tried it and it worked fine. Let me know if you have any trouble.

Greg Fishel
Craig Setzer

Post by Craig Setzer »

Greg,

Thanks for the help, a very simple fix and it works great!

Among the data I usually get AVN Sfc GRIB files from ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov for every three hours through 120 hrs. They are small file (~36k) and are good for looking at sfc wind and precip. There is a file type on weather.noaa.gov ftp of gfs files fh.0000i_tl.press.gr.onedeg that look like they should be the same except they go out to 384 hours. They must not be GRIB format because they won't decode using ngb2pcg32, any thoughts?

I'll look into the & anim command and let you know about that one.

Craig
ncwxman

GFDL GRIB

Post by ncwxman »

Greg,

Where can I find GRIB data for the GFDL? I tried searching for it on the net and have not found it.

Thanks,

Kevin
ncwxman

RE:fh.0006_tl.press_gr on http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/SL.us0

Post by ncwxman »

Graig,

These are high resolution GRIB files that use the 003 grid. I have not had a problem using these files. It could be that all of the file was not downloaded. I have often had problems on this site when downloading these rather large files. It will error out before all the file has been dowloaded. Make sure the file size on your local drive matches that on the server when the download is complete.
A better source for these files is http://140.90.198.155/ncep_data/index.html .It is more stable and seems to be faster when downloading files. In addition, this site will allow you to select a subset of the grid allowing you to download only that portion of the grid that you want there by reducing the file size significantly.

Let me know if this helped or if I can be of more assistance.

Kevin
ncwxman

RE: fh.0000_tl.press_gr.onedeg files

Post by ncwxman »

Graig,

I wrote the following reply and then realized that I misunderstood which of the fh.0000_tl.press_gr.onedeg files you where referring to. I was not able to locate the files you refered to on ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov. Anyway, I thought I'd leave my original response in case it would be of help to you or anyone else.

Kevin
Craig Setzer

Post by Craig Setzer »

Kevin,

The GFDL can be found at
ftp://weather.noaa.gov/SL.us008001/ST.o ... ghm_CY.12/
with the last two digits representing the model run time. It's a few more directories down but easy to get to.

The file I was talking about is at
ftp://weather.noaa.gov/SL.us008001/ST.o ... id_DF.gr1/

They are the 35k files that have an "i" after the forecast hour and end in "onedeg". The bigger files that don't have the "i" can be unpacked with ngb2grb32.

I look at the FTP2U page you mentioned and I'll have to try it. Doesn't look very automated though and only goes out to 180 hours.

Craig
Craig Setzer

Post by Craig Setzer »

I've got the GFDL now running on PCGRIDDS32 but because the storm relative nested grid moves, NGB2PCG32 generates a seperate file for each navigation (in most cases, every single six hour time step for 126 hours of forecast). This results in a single forecast cycle producing files AUG090.GFD255 to AUG09T.GFD255, twenty one seperate griddata files for one forecast cycle.

This means you must open a new grid file for every forecast hour of the model run, very tedious.

Any thoughts about a better way to do this?

Craig
jkrob

Post by jkrob »

Greg,

Gee, sorry, this issue is non-negotiable. The whole foundation of PCGRIDDS32 is from a common-grid perspective and the GRIB ingestors are designed with that in mind. Now, it can be done but the work involved would be quite a bit. A special GFDL GRIB ingestor would have to be designed to take one of the grid perspectives (in the middle of the model run) interpolate all of the other GRIB files to that grid then run through the normal ingest proceedure. This is not really a high priority right now.

The manual way would be to open each PCG GFDL file (PCGRIDDS32 can open up to 20 at one time) and have a set of macros created which can call each file before you command a parameter to be displaied, for example,

loop
FIL1 ( GFDL Forecast Hour 0)
hght & wind 500
endl
loop
FIL2 ( GFDL Forecast Hour 06)
hght & wind 500
endl

etc.

Once you get the macros built and the files loaded in proper order, it flows smoothly.

Good luck,
Jeff Krob
Craig Setzer

Post by Craig Setzer »

Okay Jeff, I'll give it a try.

Thanks.....Craig