FTP download problems

Discuss any other weather software not covered above, including data feeds, weather web pages, and more!
Carl Sidor

FTP download problems

Post by Carl Sidor »

I have been having a problem with ftp'ing data from the NOMADS site for some time now. I stopped using my copy of PCGRIDDS 32 since the only data that I could get was http, but the file sizes were too huge. A 105MB file would take so long for me to download with a 26kbps dial up that the predicted weather would already be here before I got the full file. Has anyone else experienced being unable to use ftp after installing XP SP2? Before I installed SP2, all was fine. I even allowed cookies, but all I got was that flashlight searching for files, and a operation timed out error message. Any help would be sincerely appreciated, especially with the update for PCGRIDDS 32 that just came out. By the way, thank you very much Mr. Krob, your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Cordially,
Carl Sidor
jkrob

Post by jkrob »

Carl,

Have you tried to FTP from anywhere else like:

ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov
tgftp.nws.noaa.gov
weather.noaa.gov

With the slow connection you have, would it be better to use the WAFS data sets?

I'm running Win 2000 but I have heard "things" about XP SP2 as it is something to stay away from for now. I know that doesn't help you but...
You just need to determine if it is a general FTP problem with you or the NOMAD site which I don't have the address for. Which FTP program do you use?

Good luck,
Jeff
andyg

Ftp with NOMADS site

Post by andyg »

Carl,

That server now no longer contains "real-time" grib data, just historical stuff. The new server has "recent" grib data but even this can be anywhere from 6 hours to two days old. You also no longer have the ability on this server to pick and choose what grib data you want or don't want nor can you make a lat/long section of the data.

Second thought, I have XP SP2 on my laptop and can still ftp. I am using the Firefox browser with a plug-in called down them-all in it. This allows for downloading of http and ftp files.

I also use Filezilla to ftp; it is a FREE program. Just do a google search to get the website.
Carl Sidor

ftp with NOMADS site

Post by Carl Sidor »

Andy;
Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try the Filezilla program. I did a search and found their site, but the 17MB download will take more time than I can give it until the weekend. Is the WAFS data available anywhere else? I have never tried to use it, so I'm totally unaware of where to get it, how to use it, and just exactly what it is! I saw WAFS data on the NOMADS site, but I merely scrolled past it on my way to the NWS GFS data. Thanks again for the help.

Cordially,
Carl Sidor
jkrob

Post by jkrob »

Carl,

One place the WAFS GRIb are is at:

ftp://weather.noaa.gov/SL.us008001/ST.o ... grid_DF.bb

Within that directory (for proper date and forecast hour of course), you see
ar.octanti, through ar.octantp. There are eight octants which divid the globe into eight octants, four north hemisphere & 4 south hemispher. If you read up in the GRIB documentation included in the PCGRIDDS32 documentation, it spells this out. Just download the octants which you desire which, over the US should be octants K & L, download the GRIB data into the appropriate WAFS GRIB directories in PCGRIDDS32, and follow the PCGRIDDS32 documentation for ingesting WAFS GRIB data.

Email Mike Davison at the HPC International Desk and he could tell you more about where the WAFS GRIB data can be downloaded from.

Good luck,
Jeff
ncwxman

NOMADS site

Post by ncwxman »

All,

Not sure which NOMADS site you are refering to.
The http://nomad5.ncep.noaa.gov/ncep_data/ site which I use has current model data for the RUC (high res.), NAM (high res.), GFS, GFS Ensembles and SREF Ensemble among others.

Kevin
Carl Sidor

ftp download problems

Post by Carl Sidor »

Kevin:
Thanks for the NOMADS 5 tip, that seems to have fixed my problems. PCGRIDDS32 is up and running with new data, I'm happy to report. Thanks, too, Jeff. The WAFS link came back as "could not find server', so I intend to follow up on it, as my curiosity has now been seriously piqued. I knew that if I submitted my problem, someone in the group would be able to help me. Thanks again.

Cordially,
Carl Sidor