Weather Charts

Everything else. For discussion about anything from meteorology to astronomy, technology, sports and politics. No spam or inappropriate content, please.
jrospopo

Weather Charts

Post by jrospopo »

Since Tim no longer sells the blank weather charts, does anyone know of somewhere else that they can be obtained?

Thanks

Jim
wxforecaster

Post by wxforecaster »

What type of weather charts are you looking for?
jrospopo

Post by jrospopo »

I know Tim sold several different types, but I would probably want the one that showed all the reporting stations across the US.

I was thinking, if I could get one, that I would get it laminated and then I could hand draw on it. And since it's laminated I could reuse it because I would use the transparency type markers that erase with a swipe of a damp cloth.

I have a copy of Tim's forcasting book and he makes a statement in there saying that when you are learning to forecast that nothing beats having a map and hand drawing the fronts in. I would agree that that is the best way to learn.

Years ago in college I took a intoductory meteorology course where we hand drew the fronts and other information on paper maps. It was a great way to learn. But given the years I've forgotten most everything we learned. So I'll have to start over learning again.

Anyways sorry for rambling on. Any info would be appreciated.

Jim
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

You can add just station references to a DA WS generated map, print it out and laminate. Under map, add station reference.

Pat
jrospopo

Post by jrospopo »

Thanks Pat,

I'll look into your suggestion and see if that meets what I had in line.

Jim
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

Jim,

I was wondering if you needed a US map with shaded elevations? It wouldn't "bump" the higher elevations, would likely be just the normal lt. tan-brown.

Pat
jrospopo

Post by jrospopo »

Pat,

If you have one available that would be great.

The more I look at your suggestion the more I like it. I was thinking that using the charts that use to be for sale would give me a larger size to plot on, but I forgot about not having the latest observations on them. With your suggestion I would have those observations. Only draw back would be that it's limited to an 8.5 X 11 inch paper size due to my printer.

Thanks

Jim
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

Jim,

You could always try regional views instead of a whole US map. I know it's a pain with an 8.5X11" sheet of paper, but it saves you from drawing in the observations manually.

I don't have the map I was referring to ready as of yet and likely wouldn't get around to making it until early Feb. But if it is something you would be interested in I'll try to come out with one.

Pat
jrospopo

Post by jrospopo »

Pat,

No rush on the map.

Although I would be intertested in knowing how you produce them. And if there is a location where we can go and download any that are already completed.

Thanks

Jim