plotting & analyzing SAO & Buoy data

Strictly for sharing scripts used in Digital Atmosphere and getting assistance from other users.
Hendricusl

plotting & analyzing SAO & Buoy data

Post by Hendricusl »

I want to plot & analyze sao & buoy data. When I run the below script all that plots and gets analyzed is the sao data. It looks like the ingest command is only grabbing the sao data. Can someone look at this and let me know what I am doing wrong? Do I need to (and is there a way to) append/merge the 2 files into one and then ingest it?

erase
download,http://www.atmos.albany.edu/weather/dat ... oy\sao.wmo
download,http://www.atmos.albany.edu/weather/dat ... oy\boy.wmo
ingest,D:\DAW\data\sao-boy\*.wmo
analyze,HILO CONT CINT=4 LINE=2 SLPR
product,plf,0
Hendricusl

I solved my own problem

Post by Hendricusl »

OK...I figured it out. I had to break the operation into seperate steps within the script.

Below is the script that works:

erase
download,http://www.atmos.albany.edu/weather/dat ... y\sao2.wmo
ingest,D:\DAW\data\sao-boy\sao2.wmo
product,plf,0

download,http://www.atmos.albany.edu/weather/dat ... y\sao1.wmo
ingest,D:\DAW\data\sao-boy\*.wmo
product,plf,0

analyze,HILO CONT CINT=4 LINE=2 SLPR
wxforecaster

Post by wxforecaster »

Save the imported file as name.DAT and then import *.DAT and it will work!!! But the extension must be " .DAT"
Fred

Post by Fred »

I could reproduce the problem, not only in this script, but also in a script of my own.

If you put a # for the first download you get plots of the buoy's. When downloading both no buoy's are plotted, only sao. In the status no buoy's are shown during running. It looks like that when more downloads are combined in one download the buoy's are skipped.

Unfortunately changing the files to .dat did not had any effect here.

Tim, what is the problem?

Greetings

Fred
tornadoforecaster

Re: SAO and buoy data

Post by tornadoforecaster »

Guys:

I think there was a similar thread on a related matter here a couple of weeks ago. Another user was trying to display slp contours along with bouy data. From what I remember Tim as saying is that bouy data is updated every few hours, so if you want to plot these, you need to download both at the same hour. But again, this is what I remember, and I could be wrong too, so . . . . .

RG
Fred

Post by Fred »

Bingo!

On the tab "Workchart" under time-selection I changed Surface to All and there were the plots!

BUT:
I changed the surface to 1 hour again and: Surprise, I still have plots. I exit DAWS and started it again with surface = 1 hour and I still have plots. This leaves me with the question: did changing the surface time influenced the result or was the fact that I run the script again after a few minutes enough to download plottable info?

Who tries the same and publish the result here?

Greetings

Fred
Hendricusl

SAO and buoy data

Post by Hendricusl »

Thanks for looking at this everyone. Fred...on my system if I set time to all it indeed works. When I change it back to one hour it does not. It does seem to be a time issue...but I am not sure why? I believe NOAA buoys report hourly so they should be available. When I open the downloaded buoy file the buoy headers show the same current hour as the sao's:

buoy:
SNVD22 KWBC 161900
BBXX

46054 16191 99343 71204 46/// /3211 10115 40283 50008 91850 22200

00121 11306 20503 3//// 41305 70028 333 91212 555 11105 22111

31753 43315 61849 324105 326102 329106 330104 331118 325126=

sao's:
SAUS70 KWBC 161900
METAR

KBGE 161847Z AUTO 20006KT 10SM CLR 21/16 A2996 RMK AO2=

My previous posted script seems like it is working as a work around to this issue.

Tim...can you shed some light on this?
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

This is an interesting issue in the software..Say if one downloads the 22Z buoy data DAWS automatically assumes this is an intermediate synoptic ob and thinks it should be 21Z instead. 19Z is interpreted as 18Z etc.

To see what I'm getting at, download buoy data only for various times (after first editing the buoy link in the internet retrieval menu to reflect @H at the end of the address - replace the @I with @H): 16Z plot it, then download 15Z data and plot it. The time stamp in the lower left will be the same for both, 15Z.

3 and 6 hourly data should always plot OK.

Setting the surface time to all and leaving DA WS up and running should solve the problem regarding hourlies.

Pat