Should overlays be a permanent map feature?

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.

How should geographical overlays be handled?

They should be temporary unless the user merges them onto the basemap
29%
They should be temporary unless the user merges them onto the basemap
71%

Total votes: 21

Tim Vasquez
Administrator

Should overlays be a permanent map feature?

Post by Tim Vasquez »

Should geographical overlays be a permanent map feature? For example, when you select Map > County Outline, should the new overlay become:
- (A) a permanent part of the map, only erasable by generating a new workchart; or
- (B) a temporary part of the map, disappearing when the map is erased. Note that you can make any overlay permanent using Map > Copy Markings To Basemap.
texsky

Post by texsky »

Hi Tim,

I voted for (A) initially, but after thinking about it further, it's more versatile to have the markings temporary but able to be "fixed" as they are now. So, I'm changing my vote to (B). BTW, thanks for the "copy markings to basemap" notice, I had missed that one.

Bob
mrvogt

Post by mrvogt »

Definately A. I just d/l DAWS and the very first thing I noticed was that you had to redraw the counties all the time after zooming or panning. Counties, highways, staions should all be part of the map in my mind.

Radar viewing is great!

Michael
texsky

Post by texsky »

Michael,

I thought the same thing initially, but there is a way to make overlays "sticky", and that is to use the "copy markings onto basemap" option under the "map" menu. This will then make them permanent.

Hope this helps.
Bob
tornadoforecaster

Re: Poll question

Post by tornadoforecaster »

Tim and group:

Well here is my take with this issue. I think beginning with a basemap showing all state and country outlines only is preferable initially, then the user can add what ever else he/she wants to the workchart. Freedom of choice is the best policy that works for me. :lol:

Randy
Jerry Koske

Post by Jerry Koske »

Hi Tim

My vote goes for temporary until they are merged.

Jerry
Carl Sidor

Geographical overlays

Post by Carl Sidor »

Dear Tim:

My vote is for temporary. I like the ability to make any map I desire on the fly, and being able to make them permanent by copying markings to basemap is sufficient in my opinion. After all, versatility is the hallmark of DAWS is it not?

Cordially,
Carl Sidor
Wally Mayo

Post by Wally Mayo »

I was going to say A. But after reading other posts, I see where texsky and Carl has pointed out a fairly simple solution that takes care of saving maps with county lines, which is the only issue I had.

So ... I guess it doesn't really matter - either way.
rik wessels

Post by rik wessels »

B , since there is already a feature enabling you to make it sticky.